Slightly OT Electronic Mystery ?

This morning at 1:30 am we were awakened out of a sound sleep by the sound of our doorbell running through 1 of it's cycles. More on that, later. I reached into the night stand and secured Mr. Colt to accompany me to the door to see "Who's there ??". Mr. Colt and I reached the door, approached it very cautiously, turned on the porch light, looked through the glass, and slowly opened it, left handed, while Mr. Colt held back a respectable distance in my right hand. Nothing, no one there, nada, zip, zero ! I flipped the porch light off and stepped out onto the porch to give us a look around. Still nothing. I stood there for a while to make sure there was no motion of any kind taking place under the fairly bright illumination of the street light. More nothing.

Back in the house the only unusual thing I noticed was all the electric clock displays flashing on and off as if there had been a recent power failure. Power was "on", of course and there was no way to tell when it had been interrupted. Later, after replacing Mr. Colt into his cozy leather resting place, I began to wonder what really happened, since there had been no sign of anyone or anything at the door. Then I remembered hearing only 1 complete cycle of Westminster chimes, all of 16 notes and no more, as if the doorbell button had been pushed precisely, only, once. The deluxe, chiming doorbell, is, of course "electronic"; and there had to have been a brief power "hit". Now I am about 50 /50 into the idea the power hit was interpreted by the doorbell's electronics as one push of the button. This seems feasible if the doorbell's trigger is seeking a "low" such as might be simulated by a power dip right before an interruption.

That is my post mortem. Opinions anyone ?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

our doorbell running

stand and secured Mr. Colt

the door, approached it

slowly opened it, left

Nothing, no one there,

porch to give us a look

motion of any kind

displays flashing on

course and there was no way

his cozy leather resting

anyone or anything at

chimes, all of 16 notes

The deluxe, chiming

"hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Reply to
RoyJ

of our doorbell running

stand and secured Mr. Colt

the door, approached it

slowly opened it, left

Nothing, no one there,

porch to give us a look

motion of any kind

clock displays flashing on

course and there was no way

his cozy leather resting

of anyone or anything at

chimes, all of 16 notes

once. The deluxe, chiming

power "hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Likely just a UFO passing through the neighborhood looking for someone to abduct. Buzzers and things always make funny noises on X-Files when this happens

Reply to
Gerry

The deluxe, chiming

"hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Sounds likely.

Also, storing a pistol in a leather holster isn't a good idea -- tends to get extra corrosion.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

SNIP

displays flashing on

SNIP

Hey Bob,

Some of the electronic time machines at my house will just flash 12:00 forever until reset. But the stove just starts up at 12:00 after a power return, and merrily counts its way along. While that won't ell me what time or for how long the power was off, all I have to do is look at what it says, deduct that from the present time, and that tells me when the power came back on at least.

I also have a bedside alarm clock with battery back-up so time is not lost when power goes off, and it normally keeps very good time. Strangely enough though, this clock gains time when there is any lightning around!! It's quite funny to watch it during a storm, gaining two or three minutes in the blink of an eye!! Your door chimes may have had a similar hiccup!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

If you have a UPS on the computer - the software has information on what hit and when. Impressive list from time to time. Reminds me, I have to print out min and launch a protest with my power company - they have 4 times now been asked to trim some trees that are into their high lines. They, the lines, have burnt through 4" of trunk on two trees.

Yea - they were here when I moved in. The 'route' man 2 yrs ago ID'd the burnt and melted wire...

Martin

Mart> I'd chalk it up to a power blip and quit worrying about it. The flashing

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

our doorbell running

stand and secured Mr. Colt

the door, approached it

slowly opened it, left

Nothing, no one there,

porch to give us a look

motion of any kind

displays flashing on

course and there was no way

his cozy leather resting

anyone or anything at

chimes, all of 16 notes

The deluxe, chiming

"hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Sounds like you diagnosed it correctly to me. But such things always screw with your mind in the early hours, don't they? I remember being totally confused by things which woke me up, many times.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

My tune-playing door chime always plays after a power interruption.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

And, mine also plays when the battery in the transmitter or receiver are getting stale. That said, Mr. Colt deserves some range time.

Dave "A used tool is a happy tool" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

our doorbell running

stand and secured Mr. Colt

the door, approached it

slowly opened it, left

Nothing, no one there,

porch to give us a look

motion of any kind

displays flashing on

course and there was no way

his cozy leather resting

anyone or anything at

chimes, all of 16 notes

The deluxe, chiming

"hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Reply to
JR North

of our doorbell running

stand and secured Mr. Colt

reached the door, approached it

slowly opened it, left

Nothing, no one there,

porch to give us a look

no motion of any kind

clock displays flashing on

course and there was no way

his cozy leather resting

of anyone or anything at

chimes, all of 16 notes

once. The deluxe, chiming

power "hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Does his ass hurt?

Anal probes...brrrrrrrr

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

The deluxe, chiming

power "hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

Depends on how well the leather was tanned and cured, and how well the weapon is maintained.

I store most of my handguns in leather holsters, but only GOOD holsters.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Put the pistol in a plastic grocery bag before holstering and there is no problem ;)

nick hull

The cops raiding the wrong house? ;)

nick hull

Gerry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

Nah, it was The Men in Black, they misdirected him with the front door bell so he wouldn't notice the UFO at the back of the house. Rang the bell once and then turned on their personal light scramblers so they blended in with the background.

Either that or when he looked out through the glass they flashy thinged him and he forgot what he saw.....

Bill

Reply to
Bill

once. The deluxe, chiming

power "hit". Now I am

electronics as one push

"low" such as might be

His pistol doesn't like to lay there, in the nude.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They wouldn't wait that long. Doorbell/knock, battering ram makes contact..........

Reply to
ATP*