Slightly OT: looking for wierd stuff

This is a little off topic, but the diversity of this group is such that somebody has their finger in every possible pie, so I will ask anyway.

For years I have been looking, to no avail, for a couple things.

#1 Perforated roll caps.

For toy cap pistols. Back in college, I started to build a sculptural cap pistol. The project got side tracked and when I got back to it, I could no longer find the right sort of caps. The kind with the holes punched between the charges. My toy uses a pawl like a revolver to advance the caps, and the ones with perforations are needed. If anyone knows where I can find these, please drop me a line.

#2 Door weather stripping.

My folks house (built in '41) has the best weather stripping for wooden door I have ever seen. It made of folded sheet metal. Instead of dragging on the door, It is folded into a couple of "C" channels. One piece is routed into the edge of the door, and the other is attached to the stop. When the door closes, they nestle into each other and force any draft to turn 270 degrees. There is no felt, the fit is loose, but they have performed flawlessly for

60+ years. I would love to find these and fit them to my building, but I have never seen another example, let alone a new piece.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

FWIW, my son brought home some roll caps from Chinatown a year or so ago. Seeing those broought home memories from my childhood. We live in San Francisco and have an active Chinatown so our situation may be different than yours.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I would try a "real" lumber store. Riverhead Building Products on Long Island (NY) probably can get them. In the 80's there was a carpenter specializing in that type of weatherstripping on the East end.

Reply to
Methodist Book of Discipline

Try Dorbin Metal Strip Mfg. in Chicago.

~D

Reply to
Dave

There was an article in Fine Homebuilding within the last few years that described installation of the type of weatherstripping that you describe. I'll bet the article also had sources for the material since most of their articles do. If you want, I could dig it out for you.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Please do.

I went to their website and attempted to purchase a archived article on weatherstripping, hoping it was this one. Unfortunately, some error prevented me from getting it. but still managed to charge me the $3.50 .

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Those roll-stock "caps" were _invented_ specifically for muzzle loader ignition: the Maynard Tape Primer system.

It was intended to speed up the process of rapidly reloading muskets by eliminating the fumbling with (and occasional contamination of) individual metallic caps.

Reply to
RAM^3

Somebody used to make the big top-hat-style caps, the ones that were used on Harper's Ferry muskets, that you could reload with ordinary caps. I haven't seen them for a decade or two, but then, I haven't had reason to look.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Folded over the nipple correctly "Greenie Stickem Caps" worked fairly well also on front stuffers.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner