slitting saw arbor question

I broke an import slitting saw arbor today. Good riddance, I hated the POS anyway. It was the 1/2-shank, multiple-size type, and had terrible runout. Always had to fiddle with it to get the saw running close to concentric with the spindle. No more! I made a dedicated one for the saws with 1" holes. It works MUCH better, and I'll be making the other sizes as needed.

Anyway, looking at the busted one, I can't figure out how it was ever put together! It's just a matter of curiosity, now, but does anybody know how these things are made?!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I just had one sproing all over the shop. I collected all the pieces and put it back together. You are right! It's a POS!!! The rings have an internal shoulder that limits the travel as they telescope on a spring. The largest one is staked into the body. If the stakes get screwed-up and let go...Sproing!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are you considering the "largest one" is the outside part, or the outermost inside ring? (Jeesh, it's hard to talk about this thing without some terminology.) I'm still missing something. I looked for staking but didn't find any. Where exactly is it staked?

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Hmmm, might be a little different. On mine the outermost moving ring, 1", is staked into the body, well, not really staked but swaged in to capture the shoulder. There is no way to easily repair this if it fails. I did manage to bore out what was left of the swaging "stake" it in with a center punch. In retrospect, I should have tossed it, it's crap!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ok. At least I understand how yours is done. Mine's probably similar; I just can't tell by looking at it.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson