"Soft" hammers

I was browsing the MSC catalog and came across a page of soft hammers. Brass, of course, but also copper, bronze, zinc, aluminum, lead, and babbitt. I can see lead (the softest), copper (harder), and brass (somewhat harder yet). But bronze and zinc are about the same hardness as brass (?), and about the same density. What distinguishes these three from each other, as far as their use in hammers?

It seems that lead and babbitt are even more similar and yet both are offered. Why?

Thanks, Bob

BTW - I've always believed that brass being softer than steel, you could deliver "... a solid blow to the work without damaging it." (as MSC puts it). Don't believe it! I recently mushroomed the end of a steel shaft using a brass hammer. Fortunately it wasn't a big deal.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt