Solid Plastic Tools

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

Reply to
DonFigo

You used to be able to buy fiberglass screwdrivers commonly known as alignment tools. Haven't seen them for years, but haven't looked for them either.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

they sell plastic tools that scratch things less than metal at cell phone parts stores online. They're like the ipod opening tools sold at battery places.

they're really nothing special though. I use popsicle sticks to pry things apart. They do splinter and make a mess if you're rough though.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If you found a plastic screwdriver that could actually drive screws, the plastic would be hard enough to damage the laptop plastic.

There are special tools made for the job. They look like a small version of the ice scrapers you use to scrape ice off the car's windows.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Google "non-metallic screwdriver" or "plastic screwdriver"

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

You want a few spudgers.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the counter girl where the spudgers are.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to go to the pharmacy next door for those. They have all brands of condoms there."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Jeff Wisnia wrote: (...)

As she backs away frowning, just tell her that some are known as "booger pickers" or "booger hooks".

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

One of my most-used tools for cases with barbed latches is the GC 5004

5004 is the top item in the picture, and has a flat screwdriver tip on each end. There are numerous other tools, but this one is soft enough to minimize marring or gouging of most hard plastics. Also great for slotted brush caps on universal motors, this softer material won't crack or chip Bakelite like a metal screwdriver will.

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you get several of them.

Mixing/stirring, applicator, scraper, pry bar, wedge and lots of other uses.

You might find many others by searching tweak/er, insulated or non-conductive probe/stick or similar terms.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Or, ask for a diddle stick.

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

Gosh - just make one with a good file and some tough plastic. Maybe the feed rods from a plastic model.

Martin

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

Of course, they aren't called 'screwdriver'. Either use a bamboo stick whittled to a chisel edge, or a putty knife (the flexible-bladed type, usually).

There are nylon tools with various names for these tasks, but the bamboo-chopstick-and-a-good-pocketknife solution works well.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:49:09 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff Wisnia quickly quoth:

Is that where you ask her to look on the bottom rack for a few minutes while you check out her upper assets? Shameful!

Yeah, spiffy new word.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had a brother-in-law, who died of multiple sclerosis. When his condition was fairly advanced and he was pretty much house-bound, his computer mouse wore out its ball (you know where this is going, right?). This was long ago enough that you would replace these parts rather than just replace the mouse, so yes, my sister was sent to the computer store to buy a mouse ball. Not one of the little ones, a big mouse ball. The worst of it was that she knew exactly what was going to happen when she asked for it, and she couldn't find a way to rephrase the question to avoid it...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Are you saying she wasn't smart enough to take the mouse with her, and tell then it needed a new ball?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell