Solvent for removing gummy packing foam?

I have some old tools that were packed by the manufacturer in sponge foam (like acoustic foam). The foam has deteriorated with age and, where it was in contact with the tools, it has bonded itself to the metal with the tenacity of epoxy.

I tried soaking in acetone and the crusty old foam just laughed. I'd rather avoid water-based solvents or chemicals that require a water rinse (e.g., paint remover). Can anyone recommend a (common) solvent that will dissolve and remove this stuff?

Thanks!

Reply to
DeepDiver

Just about any petroleum distillate: naptha, mineral spirits, WD-40, kerosene, etc.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

There is a great product out there called Goof Off.

It will take it off. Cheap enough - buy at a hardware store - in cleaners area - takes bubble gum and labels off like nothing!

Have a can at work and a can at home.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Must be like urethane or something similar, not styrofoam. I use paint stripper all the time on tools like woodworking chisels and plane blades to remove the lacquer coating on the blades before lapping and sharpening. You just have to be careful not to get any on plastic handles, the same would be true for acetone. A wash with hot water followed by a blast of WD40 or LPS-1 keeps the rust off, I use LPS-2 or LPS-3 for storage. If you've got plastic handles that your foam has gotten too intimate with, you may just have to scrape the stuff off and accept the damage. If acetone doesn't do it, probably mineral spirits or naptha won't touch it, either. Lacquer thinner might do something if you've got it handy.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer