what does decal solvent do?

the word solvent means to me something not good for decals..... what does it do?

I have the testors decal set in my cart and would like to know if I should get this too.

thx - Craig

crw59

Decal solvents are what they say they are - solvents for decals. They soften the decal to allow it to more easily conform to the contours of the kit's surface - like into recessed panel lines, or over and around rivets. Yes - if you use too much or the wrong one for the decal you can melt it.

Much like glues, some are "hotter" than others - Solvaset (my personal favorite) is the hottest one out there, and I've never been able to get Mircoset or Microsol to do anything for me...so I consider them the "weakest". But don't hold me to that assessment.

As not all decals are created equal, you may find that you need to sometimes match the setting solution you are using to the decal you are using - which is why I like to use a hot one like Solvaset. I can always cut it back by adding water.

Reply to
Rufus

in article 8azth.1154649$084.364234@attbi_s22, Rufus at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote on 1/23/07 9:05 PM:

To add to what Rufus said, a decal solvent (like MicroSol or Solvaset) is invaluable when you get air bubbles and/or silvering in a decal after it's been applied. You puncture the area with a sharp pin (a bunch of light pricks for areas with silvering) and apply the solvent. The decal will soften, lie down, and hopefully shrink so the bubble will disappear. It can take several successive applications to work completely.

I don't agree with Rufus's assessment of MicroSol -- it works just fine for me in most cases, although I do keep Solvaset on hand when I need a more potent solvent.

FYI, decal setting solution (like MicroSet) is different: it's a wetting agent, generally a solution of water and acetic acid, that you put on the surface of the model before applying the decal. It's supposed to facilitate the decal's adhering to the plastic. I generally use it, although I'm not totally sure it's actually doing anything.

Finally, as Rufus mentions, it is possible for a particular decal to have an adverse (read destructive) reaction to a particular chemical, which is why is always wise to try it out first on a decal you can afford to lose.

HTH. Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

they say they are - solvents for decals. They

Also, always apply the decals to a glossy surface. Flat paints are rough when viewed microscopically, and they can trap air under the decal, producing the "silvering" effect. Once your decal is applied and you setting agent and/or solvent has dried completely, you can spray on a clear flat coat if the color needs to be flat. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

they say they are - solvents for decals. They

That's another reason I use Solvaset - I can apply decals directly onto flat paint with it. See my comments/technique here:

Rufus