source for wheels for Baldor "carbide grinder"?

I picked up a Baldor carbide grinder today. The wheels are unusable, far too worn to do anything useful, they look sort of like lumps of clay.

I see silicon carbide wheels for these from the vendors, but I see nothing on ebay at all of any kind. Am I searching for the correct string?

I'd like to find a non-SC wheel and maybe one silicon carbide wheel. Ideally not $60 each .. at that price, I'll rapidly pay more than I paid for the whole grinder.

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington To email me please see

Grant Erwin

I'm thinking you mean the grinder with a table on each side. I set mine up with a green silicone carbide on one side and set the table a little steeper - 10 degrees for roughing. Then I popped for a diamond wheel on the other side and set it to 7 degrees. MAN does this unit do a great job on any carbide lathe bits.

I know that diamond wheel is super expensive, but worth every penny. Mine is five years old and it will last many more years because I just use it to put the fine edge on the tool. I have seen these on Ebay, I used to routinely search for "diamond grind" when getting all the wheels for my T&C grinder.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don't waste your money on an SC wheel. You cannot sharpen carbide worth a damn on one. They are only useful for rough shaping at best. Diamond or CBN are the only way to go.

You can get a white AlO wheel if you look for it. If you can get a Norton SG (blue) AlO wheel get it, as they are the best ALO wheels available. They last far longer between dressings.

The cost of the wheels versus the cost of the grinder is not a valid comparison. The plate type wheels are not cheap no matter which abrasive is used. The grinder capability is only as good as the wheels.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Grant. It's time to suck it up! Buy the wheels you need, and be grateful you have a great tool for a PILE less than retail. Look not at the cost, but rather, at the worth. Chances are good that the stones you buy will still be on the machine when your descendants split up your estate.

:-P

The one I use at work has a green SC wheel on one side, and a very fine stone (unknown to me, about 1/8 thick by 3/8 wide, on the end face of the plate) on the other. Works a treat for carbide.

Cheers Tevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones