Speaking of the Best Brand Of Mechanics' Tools

I bought an Okuma LB-15 about 15 years ago. The tools were held into the turret with two screws that simply clamped down on the toolholder. They clamped down backwards, meaning that the head bore on the toolholder. If memory serves, the head was 1/2" across. The Okuma came with an open end wrench for those screws. It had to be an open end wrench because you couldn't get to the head any other way.

The wrench was black and it just had Okuma forged into the shank.

Now there is something about that tool clamping arrangement that causes those screws to become ungodly tight during use. After a couple of years the wrench had sprung open to the point where I had to replace it. I went into the Snap-On van and told the guy that I needed the bestest 1/2" open end wrench he had. Which he sold me for typical $nap-on pricing.

The Snap-On wrench sprung open almost immediately. It was nowhere close to the ugly black Okuma wrench in performance. I've often wondered where Okuma got those tools.

Anybody know?

Reply to
George

Just a wild guess, but they *do* make machine tools. Likely made the wrenches for it, as well.

michael

My guess is whoever made it, made it out of 100% Japanese steel, using 100% Japanese machines. Nowadays, they source parts from all over the world, and it shows in their quality.

Reply to
AL

Don't get me wrong. I love this country but consider US made quality to be a sad joke.

Reply to
AL

I have found that Armstrong wrenches last well for tool post duty. However, the only ones I have used were made 20 years ago.

Or, maybe this would make a good metalworking project.

Reply to
Charles Erskine