Speed Control on 14" South Bend

Anyone familiar with the variable speed control on a 70's vintage 14" SBL? This is the one with the increase and decrease buttons and an analog meter for readout.

From seeing it dis-assembled, it looked like the speed was varied by a pair of variable diameter pulleys. I'm hoping this is the case so that I can use a static phase converter to power the lathe.

If it is actually a VFD, I don't think I can put a static phase converter in front of it.

Thanks, Wally

Reply to
Wally Blackburn

As I recollect the speed control is a pair of variable diameter pulleys. One is spring loaded and the other is altered by means of a small electraic motor mounted in the cabinetry below the bed.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

Yep, that is what I infered from the parts manual.

a dc motor adjusts it through some gear assemblies.

Reply to
Bill Bright

You are right ,It has a small motor in it that turns a screw to move the cone pulleys.I was at tec school in 1987 and they bought 10 of the sbl 14 .Thats the lathe l learned on . I went back to school last year to take cnc programing and they were still there and looked new . There good lathes .

Reply to
TLKALLAM8