Spindle lock for bench mill

Hello all I was wondering if anybody had modified a bench mill with some kind of spindle brake or lock. it would be nice if they had included one for tool changing!!

Reply to
James Crombie

James Crombie wrote in article ...

Check through the indices for Home Shop Machinist or Machinist's Workshop. There was a project to build a spindle lock a while back.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Hey James,

I added a neat little brake to my Bridgeport Model M head. Just a lever, with a 1" long piece of V-belt that the lever can push into the largest diameter (lowest) spindle pulley groove. It is mounted to the lower horizontal portion of the pulley housing, with a shaft through a bushing, and a knob/lever on the external part and placed so that the "business end" is "inside" the belt routing so that it never interferes. V-belt jammed in a V groove is really powerful. Works a treat!

I hope this is what you meant?

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hello all

Reply to