SpotWeldingAluminum

Hello, folks --

I've a project: assemble small frames [16"x16"x20"] of struts made from .063" aluminum, 2011 or whatever the bending stock is. They're bent into L brackets [mostly] and are to be joined at lap joints.

My assembly options are pop rivets, spot welding or sheetmetal screws.

The frames will go for anodizing when complete.

One local weld supplier says you can't spotweld aluminum, but on the www I find references to doing it.

Question: how much KVA is required for this job? I can get [borrow or buy] a 2.5KVA unit, handheld. Will this work? I've perhaps sixty spots to weld, some with two or three spotwelds.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

chris

Reply to
""ckuether"

Greetings Chris, I have almost no experience spot welding. But, goofing around with microwave oven transformers with rewound secondaries putting out about

3 volts open circuit I was able to stick together aluminum sheet about .060 thick. Heat was applied 4 times for about 2 seconds each time. They stuck pretty well. So borrow that unit and give some scrap pieces a try! Eric
Reply to
Eric R Snow

"@@houston.rr.com" wrote in news:lnvrc.11955$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Apparently the folks who built my airplane didn't know your welding supplier :-) The aluminum door skins are spot welded, and have held up for

58 years.

Rob

Reply to
Rob McDonald

I have never spot welded aluminum but have heard it isn't easy. I was told that adding a piece of thin galvanized steel under each tip helps a lot. Increased resistance may increase heat or something. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Land Rover have been doing it since 1946,but I don't know how.Interesting to find out.! les

Reply to
Les

Aluminum can be spotwelded, but it is not easily done with a spotwelder designed to weld steel. The problem is the low resistance of aluminum. A spotwelder for aluminum would be designed for lower voltage and higher current.

That said, it may work with a regular spotwelder. But I would hate to buy a spotwelder without knowing. If it were me, I would try using a Mig welder with a timer and a cup designed for spot welding.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I have one of the Miller spotwelders and have stuck alum to alum many times. It may notbe as stong as it should be, but what I spotted helpd up fine for what I was doing. Spot welder is a pretty handy item, however they really need a stand orone of those balance type holders from a cable, as they are certainly pretty heavy. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy