Stainless steel brewery repair

No. The pipe leg is welded to a piece of 1/8" stainless steel that was formed to match the shape of the tank and then welded all the way around it's edge.. This panel is about 8 inches in diameter, and can be seen in he pictures. A crack in this panel will not penetrate the tank. It is a very clever idea, and makes working on the tank legs much less problematic.

I still don't understand why the tank legs are steel and not stainless steel, but maybe in the 1960's in England Stainless steel was really expensive, so they only used it where they had to.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Mike (and Miss Jaime) have both been posting over on the Digital Photography newsgroup. Coincidence???

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

I always thought it a bit odd that one or the other would post to a group, but only rarely would both post at the same time. Hmmmmm...........Coincidence?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Could you have used CO2? It's something that would be plentiful in a brewery. Engineman1

Reply to
Engineman1

When the tank tumbles over, hope somebody is there to slurp up the beer! Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

CO2 is not inert. Nitrogen will work, but Argon is better.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Wayne Cook scribed in :

we're all misfits, that's why I have a lot more beard and a LOT more hair

this one is kinda old...

hair at the moment since I don't cut it over winter the office has changed too, it has MORE stuff in it....

37 this year

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

I am assuming that there isn't a problem welding the steel leg to the stainless pad, using the TIG. Would there be any problems with this since they are dissimilar metals. How do you determine which filler rod to use when mating two diferent metals. Something I have never had a chance to do yet. Cheers,

Dale

Reply to
Reality24

Actually what I am welding is the broken edge of the 1/8" stainless pad, so it is more like welding a stainless weld bead to a stainless pad. Normally for dissimilar metals I would use Hastelloy W or Inconnel 625.

309SS is the most common alloy used for that purpose.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie's favourite is a Hastelloy rod. Since I don't have any, I use 312 or 309 stailess or Inconel 625, 82 or HX for joining dissimilar ferous metals. e.g. An extreme case: H-13 to mild steel.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards