Star lathe motor mounting

My friend has an 1920 ish 11x5 star lathe. He needs a pix. or drawing on how the motor and drive pulley is mounted. All the pix show the front side only. Looking for the back side showing the motor and pullye assy. Any info or pix will be helpfull. A manual or where i can find one or view would also be helpful.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

My friend has an 1920 ish 11x5 star lathe. He needs a pix. or drawing on how the motor and drive pulley is mounted. All the pix show the front side only. Looking for the back side showing the motor and pullye assy. Any info or pix will be helpfull. A manual or where i can find one or view would also be helpful.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim

Is this it?

Looks like it had an overhead drive type. A big motor turning a lot of shafts that connect as needed to to individual machines. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

i recently also acquired a Star lathe. i posted two messages to this list asking for assistance (and received some info)...

Re: working on newly acquired lathe Tuesday, December 27, 2005 Re: help with newly acquired lathe Thursday, December 22, 2005

at that time it hadn't occurred to me i could do a google search, was surprised i got some hits. i neglected to bookmark all the sites but this one has links to several others...

the .uk site prolly has the most info. check the message board, there are links to other sites within the discussions. there are links there to two old catalogs. the catalogs are the closest thing to a "manual" that i've seen so far. there are pics somewhere (sorry, i can't remember where) of a electric motor conversion mounting arrangement (big cast iron, but not available anywhere for sale). i saw pics somewhere of a lathe at auction (expired) with an electric motor mounted on it, looked home made, lots of mesh safety covers.

i'm in the process of building from scratch a electric motor mount speed reduction thingy. i intended to post pics when i was finished. so far it has been for me a real brain teaser.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

According to Bob AZ :

There is an overhead shaft assembly resting on the ways near the headstock, and extending over the headstock.

But it looks to me as though this particular lathe was originally made to be powered by the operator pumping on a foot treadle under the machine.

And that is certainly *not* a woodworking machine, in spite of the web site's focus. Look at the change gears and leadscrew, and the apron on the carriage.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Jim,

I have a 9x5 version of this lathe, complete with the original factory motor drive. There's a fairly complicated gearbox behind the headstock, that includes two clutches - one each for forward and reverse. I think I saw a Seneca Falls catalog showing a simplified version of this drive with a simple countershaft in place of the gearbox.

Let me know if a photo of my drive setup would be helpful.

Dave email: robinda ........ at ....... quincy.edu

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Dave