Steel supplier in Western suburbs of Chicago?

If you use an axel and wheels from a junked auto, plan on new springs. I found that the springs that were on a Plymouth Voyager axel were way too soft for my 5 x 9 homemade trailer. A set of 3000 lb springs & shackles was under $40 at Northern Tool.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's not bad at all. Thanks for the tip. I will do some less critical welding for a while first. I do not want my axle to fall off on a highway. Eventually, I want to make something like 4.5x8 trailer, a small but sturdy trailer. I have no space (and need) for a large trailer, but a small one would be nice.

Ignoramus26153

2 x 2 x 1/4 is 3.19 lb/ft or 31.9 lb for 10 ft. $23.55 isabout 73c/lb, which sounds high for angle, even with current steel prices. 40c/lb, or $12.76 for a 10-footer would be a "good" price for new HRS in small lots. $5 a pc is a bargain if the steel is in reasonably good condition -- it certainly isn't new stock.
Reply to
Don Foreman

I guess, then, I misunderstood him and was comparing apples to oranges. Thanks Don.

Ignoramus26153

Today's price in Minneapolis would be $28.75 for 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle,

20 feet (not 10). That's about 45c/lb. 20 foot is standard length. If you only want 10 feet, they may charge a different rate and they'll probably charge for the cut. If you go in person, sometimes you can find "drops" that they'll sell for the same per/lb rate as standard lengths.
Reply to
Don Foreman

I see. I think, now, that I was comparing apples and oranges.

Ignoramus26153

O'NEAL STEEL

5950 Route 251 Peru, IL 61354 815-224-1361 snipped-for-privacy@onealsteel.com snipped-for-privacy@onealsteel.com

LEECO STEEL

1600 South Kostner Avenue Chicago, IL 60623 630-427-2100
snipped-for-privacy@leecosteel.com
Reply to
SmokinJo

I am not sure of the prices for what you are asking for.

O'NEAL STEEL

5950 Route 251 Peru, IL 61354 815-224-1361 snipped-for-privacy@onealsteel.com snipped-for-privacy@onealsteel.com

LEECO STEEL

1600 South Kostner Avenue Chicago, IL 60623 630-427-2100 snipped-for-privacy@leecosteel.com
Reply to
joedyson

Just found this on Craigslist:

FREE STEEL - ELK GROVE VILLAGE

Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@craigslist.org Date: 2005-10-03, 10:38PM CDT

I HAVE ALOT OF WEIGHT IN SCRAP STEEL - SO IF U HAVE A TRUCK AND WANNA SCRAP IT, EMAIL ME WITH A PHONE NUMBER AND I'LL CALL U TO SET UP A TIME - IF U DONT RESPOND WITH A PHONE NUMBER U WONT GET A REPLY!!

PEICES ARE APPROX. 6-8FT LONG AND CAN BE PICKED UP DURING BUSINESS HOURS IN ELK GROVE VILLAGE, JUST OFF I90 AND ELMHURST ROAD..

a.. this is in or around ELK GROVE VLG, IL

b.. no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Rob

Reply to
RDF