Good steel suppliers in Chicago

My last visit to a steel supplier that I had some luck with,
previously, has not been great, as they were busy, not willing to give
good prices on anything and just acted like they did not want little
guys buying a few pieces of this and that. Which is surely their
right, even though I did buy a new 20" long square tubing. The deal on
a 3/16" piece I got for a bigger welding table is nothing to brag
about. So... Is there a place in Chicago or in West suburbs that is a
little bit more willing to do little orders or sell scrap pieces for
not too much.
Ignoramus3520
Buy full sticks (24') of material, if necessary they will cut in half so you can transport easily. Prices are a lot better by the stick and you will invariably find a use for the rest of the stock some weekend evening when no suppliers are open. I regularly buy a couple sticks each of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" square tube so I always have it on hand for quick projects. If they have some small scraps of heavy structural steel you can get for free take a few. My supplier gave me about a 3' piece of 4" x 6" x 1/2" angle which has now provided quite a few chunks for various projects.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
I have a good supplier that has a stock rack of 10' pieces in all the common hobbist kind of sizes (2" angle, 3" channel, 2" sq tube, etc) These are all 20' sticks bundle cut in half. Price is just a few cents a pound more than full sticks. No minimum sale, $25 minimum sale for credit card purchases, no hassle for 2 or 3 sticks of various materials. They also have nice racks of various sheet stock, some 2'x4', some in odd sizes up to 4'square, same decent prices. Out back they have the 'scrap rack' pick and choose. I grabbed some off that rack, the last 3' were twisted up, they just cut it off and gave me good material. Cut charge is usually just a couple bucks, maybe none if you take the whole piece. And open Saturdays. Sorry, Twin City location.
Ignoramus3520 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Pete, I think that I was mistaken and that I have the full stick (cut in two halves).
Ignoramus3520
OK, thanks, at least they exist out there. Thanks Roy.
Ignoramus3520
Mill lengths of material are commonly 20' (small stuff like 2-1/2" angle), 24' (medium) and 40' (larger). If you buy a full truck (44,000 pounds) you can specifiy any length you want. So the difference between 20' and 24' tends to be more local practice than industry standard.
Ignoramus3520 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
I've been looking for such a supplier in the NW burbs. No luck though. Metal Express is great for small pieces, but their prices for full lengths aren't so good.
Reply to
AL
Cut em into 4 pieces. Its far easier if you are space challenged like Iggy, to stand the rems up in a corner. Or thirds if you have enough space.
Gunner
Gunner