Finding 9in diameter CRS in short lengths

I'm needing 2 pieces about 3in wide. Where can you get something this big? thanks

Reply to
Dr. Butter

My local engineerng supplier in Bath UK definitely has several feet of

8.5" CRS and has some lengths of larger diameters as well. Would help to know your locati> I'm needing 2 pieces about 3in wide. Where can you get something this >big?
Reply to
David Billington

Probably easiest to get this flame cut out of 3" plate. Most any large steel supplier will custom cut. In Minnesota, go to Twin city Steel on Broadway.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Or Jorgensen Steel in Blaine MN or Denver or Seattle or Honolulu or St. Louis or Kansas City or Tulsa or Chicago or Oakland or Phoenix or Dallas or Houston or Los Angeles or Dayton or etc....

or maybe Yarde Metals in ......

I guess it depeneds on where you are. Pete

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Heck, I've got a chunk of 9" I used to make billet flywheels out of. But bandsawing off a couple chunks.. That's gonna cost. Then there is shipping.

Best to look into a local steel yard.

Pete

Reply to
Half-Nutz

You can sometimes get "drops" , pieces cut out for some other buyer. Sometimes they give you a big discount on them. Cutting a round bar is too much like work, and costly too.

John

Reply to
John

Industrial metal supply has rounds like that they be as big a 3" thick they can be reached at

IMS Work: 818 8484439 [Call] they are located in Sun Valley California.

Ed ke6bnl

Reply to
Ed ke6bnl

www.metalmart will cut to length and ship, but it won't be cheap. Looks like a 3" long piece of 9" diameter 1018 CRS would be around $125 before shipping. Hot rolled would be a bit cheaper.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Reply to
RoyJ

Flame cut????

Makes a great door stop. But that HAZ will ruin tools quickly.

Gunner

Gunner

This soundl like the best idea. I should have mentioned I'm in Arkansas and I've tried in the past to get short pieces and can't find any suppliers other than machine shops. Flame cut of plate we can get even in Arkansas. Thanks

Reply to
Dr. Butter

The trick is to use carbide tooling and an extremely deep cut, get under the HAZ. I've not had much trouble using this approach. Many of my projects begin with the torch ruffing metal to size. If there's a seriously jerky sruface and slag, I use a 9" grinder to knock out the worst of it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Or Audels, I've seen some big pieces there. Cash speaks louder than posted or asked-for prices there.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill