storing sheet metal?

Hi,

I've got about a 4x4 piece of sheet metal for body work. I've had it since mid-summer in the shed (open eaves, drafty door). I went out the other day to find it has a light coating of rust in many places. I don't do a lot of body work and want to keep this for several years (for whenever the inspection stickers on the cars run out). I suppose I should put it in the basement. It has a concrete floor and walls, but it get a few damp spots in the spring. Would this be enough or should I do something to it now to prevent further rusting?

Thanks, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Cheryl and Rob

give it a coat of primer, you can buff it off later if you are welding it. Or get some LPS #3, next best thing to cosmoline(waxy rust inhibitor)and coat with it.

Reply to
James P Crombie

Thanks, I'll see if I can find this. I've got a few other things that could use a spritz. If not, I'll go with the motor oil.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Our basement rusts *anything*, I have a piece of sheetmetal similarly treated, clean like the day I oiled it.

Tim

Tim Williams

Yup. I prefer cheap primer for steel storage, even outdoors. Just a light coat of Wal-Mart's cheapest 99-cent-a-can primer does the job if the steel is undisturbed (not handled) while in storage.

LPS-3 is good stuff, but it makes the stock miserable to work with later. Dirt sticks to it, you must thoroughly clean it before painting, etc. The primer disappears instantly under a rotary sander for welding, and you can paint right over it. You can also weld right thru it once an arc is started; probably not a great idea for best possible welds but it'll work.

LPS-3 works great >give it a coat of primer, you can buff it off later if you are welding

Reply to
Don Foreman