Stupid DC motor control question

I have this perfect Bodine 130v DC gearmotor, except that it's blue, courtesy of Gunner, for a project. (SEE: one-way clutch) I just got a Dart Controls control for it on eBay for $26. It puts out 90 or 180 volts with a

115-230 vac input.

Stupid question: (Children should leave the room)

Can I use 2 legs of my 3-phase to power it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, assuming you're talking about 240V 3 phase, but the controller will exceed the motor's nameplate at top speed. The control may have a high speed limit adjustment that will take care of that.

The 130VDC motors that Bodine builds are unusual. If you use a typical controller powered by 120VAC the motor won't reach full nameplate speed. Bodine makes controllers with filtered outputs that will drive their motors to full speed.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

sure. You will need to use a proper pot and resistor so that your voltage goes only up to 130v.

Ignoramus22178

I think that at least some DC drives are configurable. Since they are controlled by pots, one could choose a pot and perhaps an extra resistor so that the range of output voltage would be reduced, say from 0-190 to 0-130.

Ignoramus22178

Wow, I thought for sure I was going to get lambasted. I don't need the top speed of 38 rpm, I want about half that. Now I can just tuck the controller in the spacious 3-phase box.

Reply to
Tom Gardner