Success in cutting glass tubing

One can never have too many motors. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hi Harold: I provided the wheel to Ken. It is a diamond wheel(saw) for cutting ic wafers. I intermittently peddle them on ebay.

anyone here is interested in these, rcm members can have two for $6 delivered via First Class mail. Contact me directly at pjones (at) caltel (dot) com. Thanks.....Paul

Reply to
PJ

Heck - On the way to AZ from Arlington Tx many years ago - we got as far as I-20 in Ft. Worth when the muffler fell and started scratching... The hanger died.

Hum - miles from town and oh there is a underpass for cattle going in... wonder if.

Found a length of left over re-bar (concrete in already) it was cut just so it would fit between the two Tube channels on either side of the frame. And there was a hole on both sides just aft of the muffler. It fit in deep on one side and just passed short on the other side. Now to lift up the hot metal and put it in. Used a car jack to do most of the work and that was that until the return trip to the Muffler shop. Who had a great laugh and show everyone for todays kludge!

I would have used bailing wire or fence wire, but it was in use.

Martin [ But I had a tool box in the back if needed :-) ]

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hi Paul,

I tried to contact you as you suggested above, but it doesn't work. Not sure if it's me, or what the problem is. Anyway, I checked the ebay listing and am a little concerned with the limited depth of cut due to the angle on the wheel. Are these available in other configurations?

Would you please contact me on the side so I can gather enough information to send you the money for a couple of the wheels?

Thanks,,,

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

That's cool. ;~)

Yup, pun intended.

mj

Reply to
michael

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:17:32 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn" calmly ranted:

- George Orwell

The proper term is "muffler bearing", sir. I think Mbenz coined that term eons ago with an actual item in the parts books.

has interesting pics. Be sure to stop by their Products page for some essential product you'll want to keep in your car for trips just like that one.

It's amazing what'll make do until the proper fix comes along, isn't it?

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was way out in the middle of no where hunting, and the crappy nylon bushing that held one end of the throttle linkage on the old Ford Ranger busted out. It would cause one end of the linkage to drop and hang the throttle at a high RPM. Giving the truck a quick look through..I found a 3030 rifle case was the proper size to both hold the rod and fill the hole. I sold the truck 3 yrs later with the thing still installed.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Good job Ken,

I like your ingenuity.

If I may, a couple suggestions for next time.

Use your flexible shaft attachment for the motor. With the blade that close to the motor it could be dangerous with the water feed and spray from the wheel. Many electric motors have an internal fan to cool the motor. It could draw in the spray and cause some real problems.

I have set up a water feed by using a pump style bug sprayer for your lawn. I took off the spray wand and lengthened the hose. I put a stopcock on the end with a few inches of flexible copper tubing after it. It's easy to mount anywhere. The flexible copper makes it easy to direct the flow or drip. And it's completely portable.

There's really no set cutting speed for glass. A basic rule of thumb is " the faster the diamond, the faster the cut." Your only limited by safe rpm limitations on blades. The bigger the blade, the lower the speed. Your motor speed was just right for most blades. What is important is your plunge speed. By going slow, as you did....no problems!

Randy Hansen SC Glass Tech. Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Reply to
Randy H.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:25:56 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

I hope you did the disclaimer thing for the new owner. ;)

I was on a trip to Mojave to meet some wimmenz when my old '68 Ford Ranch Wagon decided to crap out. I was just outside Lancaster and pulled up in front of a lone house. There was an auto parts store half a mile down the road, so I walked down and picked up a can of carb dip, B-12 carb cleaner, and a carb overhaul kit. Walking back to the house, I borrowed her hose and proceeded to overhaul the carb at the curb. An hour later, I was on the road again with no more stuck float. I probably could have achieved success without the overhaul, but was glad to have spent the extra $8 (total, in 1972 dollars) for the trouble.

This was accomplished with a pocket screwdriver, a pocket knife, and a MAC 4' crescent wrench, my only tools.

Luckily, I've never had anything really major happen when I was out in BFE (West BF for some of you guys). --- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Some good points, Randy. I appreciate the info - and to be very honest - I really didn't consider water being sucked into the motor. However, as it was, the motor doesn't have either an internal or external fan, and water drip was pretty well controlled, but you do offer very valid points that I will keep in mind. I was very happy with the cut I got on the glass, but I really wasn't pushing it very much - I just kinda thought that slow and easy would prevent me from shattering the tubing during the operation. Again, not knowing what kind of speeds to use I guess I just got lucky. Thanks for your post. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling