Tailstock DRO ???

Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly important. Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen (tm) refills,and for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be able to drill to depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The graduations on my tailstock dial are accurate, I don't need a digital readout to hold .001". But I do need to set the quill lock so that it drags a little to get good accuracy. Digital readouts are much harder for me to follow than analog. That's why I have a Trav-A-Dial mounted to the Z axis of one lathe and am getting ready to mount another on another lathe. They are expensive new and even used on eBay, kind of a pain to set up, but well worth it for me, especially for long cuts. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Jim Wilkins

Nice looking setup, at only 4" it might be a little tight for my bigger lathe. Would be just fine on my smaller ones since they only have a little over 2 inches of travel. Could be an issue with ejecting tools on those though. I know. I know. I should make a kick stub for tools I use in those machines.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A mount for a dial indicator C clamped to the tailstock has worked well on a 9 by 20 chinese lathe. One with 2 inches of travel serves well on the cross slide, too. Harbor Freight devices I think.

Hul

Bob La L> Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I piled up MIG weld to extend the ends of Morse tapers too short to contact the tailstock feed screw.

Those readouts come in other lengths, and from other suppliers.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Best Regards Tom.