M16 (~5/8th-inch) - socket upto strip threads in tests

M16 bolt & nut takes 24mm spanner / socket...

I wanted to do some tests - micrometer etc. measure elastic and plastic (permanently deformed) extension.

Was thinking 3/4inch drive (square) so wrench much stronger than bolt.

Want to keep wrench handle near horizontal, where bolt axis is horizontal, so can haul on it.

Choice...? Could get

  • 12-facets (2 angles - 15deg increments) chromed hard socket
  • 6-facets (1-angle - 30deg increments) tougher steel sockets.

The 6 facets impact wrench socket is the stronger / tougher

- but the 12 facets one is totally up to the job and gives twice as many angles it can go on?

Any experience or experience on this and which is better choice?

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

As a retired auto mechanic, I can tell you that I shunned my 12pt sockets early on in favor of the stronger 6pt sockets, mostly the impact style so I could use them with air tools. If you induce any angle during the test, the 12pt will strip the corners right off that bolt head. A super-duty ratchet will make up the difference if you need to get a bite at tighter angles.

Wear thick gloves and clear the area behind where you're testing. When it lets loose, you need to pad where you'll fall. DAMHIKT

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would suggest using a cheater pipe. Adding a few feet to the handle of the ratchet will make the failure event far less dramatic.

Reply to
rangerssuck