tap and die set recommendations?

To save $, I recommend buy as you need + garage sales + patience.

As for storage, what worked out great for me was to layout/label a row x column grid on plywood for all the taps and drills (e.g., the 1/4" column has holes for NC starting, NC bottoming, NC tap drill, NF starting, NF bottoming, NF tap drill), drill (not thru) holes to match taps and drills, and presto you can drill and tap w/o all the hunting. Well worth the 1 hour of effort. My only mistake was to omit 5/16" on the grid since I always use 1/4" or 3/8" -- then I got a Logan lathe which has 5/16 all over it.

David

Reply to
David Malicky

snipped-for-privacy@fnord.io.com (Brent Burton) wrote: | Hi folks, | I'm looking for tap and die sets (SAE and metric) and would like some | opinions on brands, sources, and of course what to look for in a "good" | set. | ...

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions posted elsewhere in this thread. Lots of good guidance, thanks.

-Brent

Reply to
Brent Burton