Technical aspects of drill bit sharpening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:04:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

I can grind a drillbit to drill an undersize hole. Not a prob. I just can't grind one to drill the perfect oversize hole.

-- It is better to wear out than to rust out. -- Bishop Richard Cumberland

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I took some bits to a local tool place that says he has a sharpening guy. I labeled the one that works the way I need and told them to match the 'lip angle' (if that's right). So we'll see. I gave them just a couple to see if they do it right. Thanks for all the help though.

Reply to
Dave99

Well, when you grind a drill bit on its circumference, you can make some really small holes. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sure you can. The trick is to grind and then drill a test hole and regrind as necessary. Repeat until you get the required hole size. It's an acquired skill and take practice, but it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
Ronald Thompson

As the high school shop teacher explained " you put the drill over your left index finger resting on the tool rest and bring it up to touch the wheel, then you just rock and roll it" (mid '50s) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

[ ... ]

As long as it isn't the left index finger which you bring up to touch the wheel. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

BTDT Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Well, I tried taking some bits to a local shop that claimed they knew how to do what I wanted... but I got the bits back and all they did was copy the 118 angle onto the other bits. Would anybody happen to know of anyone in the Los Angeles area that actually knows what they're doing when it comes to sharpening? There has to be somebody out there that knows what a lip angle is.

Reply to
Dave99