Temperature and digital calipers

Funny, my 30-year-old vernier reads just fine to .001". My eyes on the other hand -- well, let's just say the magnifying glass wasn't mentioned for its humor value. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

No, 'cos I test them straight out of the box without touching the metal. The

2" mark is where the housing ends.
Reply to
Michael Koblic

Vacuum sealer $69.99.

Being able to blow hot air - priceless!

Reply to
Michael Koblic

It is not a problem. The cheapest ones I have seen are $515. That is ten of the cheap digital ones and a small lathe.

Or I could just blow hot air on mine for free. And save the cost of the magnifying glass...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Ah, just found one for $81 US...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

That was a storage suggestion for your calipers.

If the problem really is condensation, you would be able to use your calipers full range, out of the box without needing the hot air gun.

Seems like a smart young guy could do the same thing with a Tupperware container and a little hand vacuum pump for almost No Money.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Dial calipers are nearly always reliable, as long as they're kept clean and not dropped. Requiring no batteries is a feature.

Readings to .001" usually aren't a problem, with reading glasses if needed.

Dial models generally have a numbered scale showing inches in tenth-inches, or mm/cm for metric models, so counting turns isn't required.

You've brought up a potential problem for many digital caliper users, I hope I remember the issue if I encounter it.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Ah, well; another decade, another diopter. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise