Interesting

It'd sure be nice and cozy come come January in Minnesota too... and oh so safe and attractive!

Jeeze, could you imagine the din of a simi-dense residential area loaded up with these things? No one would ever sleep...

Amazing they even built a prototype, let alone production models.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:58:09 -0800, the infamous "Steve B" scrawled the following:

Very cool! "Hey, Mr. Jaywalker!" Vrooooooooooooom! A human Veg-a-Matic!

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very amazing indeed!

Ignoramus25468

Fascinating!!!

Change the prop to a steel one and put up a decent windshield with good...good wipers and one could have all sorts of fun at an ACORN sponsored street demonstration.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They had a special on a while back on Jay Leno's vehicles. One was a motorcycle with a helicopter turbine engine. They were discussing it, and Jay said the big drawback was there was a 1-2 second throttle lag. You turned the throttle on, and it was 1-2 seconds before it kicked in. You shut off the throttle, and there was a 1-2 second delay until deceleration. He said he rode it, but it was scary. When asked top speed, he quoted the top RPM of the turbine, but said that no one who had ever ridden it anywhere would take it anywhere near that high speed.

This car would have the same problems, and would have to be driven on wide open straight areas with little turning, stopping, or starting.

But it is unusual, and very interesting that some metal worker geek put it all together with state of the art elements from his era. Quite a car.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

hmmmm Flow-Thru Ventilation (tm)

Reply to
RBnDFW

I've heard that about Stanley Steamers, too. They had the suspension of a horse-drawn wagon.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Stanley Steamer was about 50 years ahead of it's time, then the auto industry took a left turn to internal combustion and never looked back.

If they could mass-produce the boilers so they were an easy swap-out when they had problems, they would be the answer to lots of our energy problems.

Because you can run a boiler on practically anything that will burn, as long as you can come up with a burner for a liquid or a stoker to feed it in. Used vegetable oil, wood pellets, ground corncobs...

And with computers it could start and run itself safely, and only need a few minutes warmup before you could drive.

We know how to build a suspension system now.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"anything that will burn" makes the necessary emission controls a nightmare.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Hmmmmmmmmmm. That would be an interesting metalworking project. You'd get to be in ALL the parades, get on Good Morning America, get to have lunch with liberal political photo ops. That would be good. Except for the liberal political photo ops part.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've spent enough time 6 feet behind a propeller that I'd only want to do it if I was 5000 feet over the earth or going 120 mph.

Here's sort of the inverse. Old farts will recognize the engine immediately...

It belongs to my neighbor at the airport.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Think Nukuler!

Reply to
RBnDFW

One of my favorite online comics....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I can only imagine what a deer or even a moose up here in Maine would look like comming out the back side of that thing.......

Reply to
jeff

jeff wrote in news:92oog51birohvumuk8s6sjadh37b0ss4p5 @4ax.com:

I'd sure hate to be in that contraption along the Texas Gulf Coast...Given the large cloulds of millions of salt-water mosquitos common to this area.

Before a Manysodan starts making claims about their "State Bird", those things are totally innocuous whereas these things kill cattle each year.

Reply to
RAM³

Chernobyl or TMI?

I do have a thermonuclear clothes dryer.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Our skeeters in Jersey have twin engines. But sea robins are our state bird. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"RAM³" wrote in news:Xns9CCDB06D6B5D2s31924netscapenet@74.209.131.10:

I make no claim to knowing which state has the biggest, nasiest mosquitos. I do remember being surprised on a fishing trip in Wyoming that theirs were large enough that you could kill them in mid-air with an open hand swat. Too much mass to get blown out of the way, and enough mass that the impact would kill them.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:06:56 -0600, the infamous RBnDFW scrawled the following:

That's sure as hell what _I_ want for my next vehicle. Yeah, a super-duper new Mr. Fusion!