Interesting

Capture and loose 10 of each (or 1000) and loose them in the capitol buildings there - might shake them up!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

He can keep it. Model A engine sitting backwards with a magneto kludged on the nose of the crank... That's a little too far to the "wing and a prayer" side of Homebuilt. A Lycoming or Continental where I don't have to worry about an "Oh, Shit..." moment.

And the instrrument panel is past sparse, and bordering on "guess" - No compass, no electrical at all, no nav lights, no transponder, no radio...

A Piper Cub, a Grumman Goose, maybe a Huey. But that's as far back as I'm going to hop in - while conscious. You'll have to A-Team me.

And NO Ospreys, them things are death-traps.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Look up that tail number.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Amen! There have been a few recorded deaths (though they were hushed up for many years) in the 'Military and Experimental" category of nuclear power generation, but none in the civilian realm.

Chernobyl had no containment building, just a 'warehouse'. Three Mile Island stayed contained - Barely. But "almost" only counts in Horseshoes and Chicago Pineapples.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

After years of R&D, you find you are cutting edge!

Marvelous, isn't it.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Bruce L. Bergman on or about Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:02:25

-0800 did write/type or cause to appear >>Hmmmmmmmmmm. That would be an interesting metalworking project. You'd get

AP wants you to know, you have your facts wrong. They only assigned 11 "journalists" to the fact checking. Because as Everybody Knows, progressives aren't ever wrong, but Conservatives are too evil to get things right.

pyotr filipivich

I guess you missed the news story *this week* that TMI had another radiation accident...

Reply to
cavelamb

Bruce is a wuss.

You should hear a ford powered Pietenpol fly over - at 1600 RPM.

Reply to
cavelamb

The owner promises that I will, next month. I think I'd take it around the pattern if he'd let me...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

"Neon John" was part of the cleanup crew at TMI:

I've tried to get him to post here but he isn't interested.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I actually dont remember who I heard about it from. ...Still suffering from Stroke Memory in many small ways.

Shrug

You? Thanks!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

How does that go.... "There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots..." I'm not being a wuss, I just like my skin. I've grown accustomed to it, you see...

Something that old, and with the large wood content and miscellaneous hardware and struts and wries holding it together, I'd want it totally checked out down to darned near X-Raying the lumber.

And the engine has to come apart and gets Magnafluxed every once in a while, just like any other aircraft engine. Which is kind of difficult on a cast engine block like that.

Worse, when confronted with a tiny crack on a part that is very difficult to replace, perhaps they are tempted to think "Well, that little crack isn't that bad yet - I'll keep using it and watch real careful for signs of it growing, while I locate another..."

The DeHavilland Mosquito came up here a while back... There were mentions in the Wikipedia article about a few "unexplained crashes" in Africa, till they figured out the humid region was delaminating the glue in the molded plywood composite construction - they changed to a waterproof urea glue and no more failures.

The Pietenpot Air Camper looks to predate those discoveries, and it's structurally mostly wood...

It's a perfectly valid concern. And some people choose to stay blissfully ignorant of the facts so they don't have to think about them - and that's fine if they are only risking their own necks.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Heard that and believe it.

Everyone has their own risk levels and devils on their back. I won't skydive though I pass dozens of them on the ground and beside the pattern all the time. I don't like helicopters and would only fly in one if required. I commuted on a motorcycle for over a year on a bad-ass stretch of freeway. Never went down, but won't ever do it again.

OTOH, once around the pattern in the Pietenpol, staying within gliding distance? Yup. Would I make a habit of it? No.

An even more interesting question.. Would you go up in the Space Shuttle? I'm still thinking about that one, and I think the answer for me is no.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Me? Absolutely!

I'm 60 years old, the kids are all grown and have their own kids, and I haven't been on orbit yet.

No hesitation at all.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

As a gift at my retirement which was re-offered 15 years latter for my

70th birthday, I went with a former employee to a fly-in in his 1948 Luscombe 8F. The main thing I learned was that the door opening got a lot smaller over 36 years. It was a much appreciated gesture on his part, and a thoroughly enjoyable day for me. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

Same here..but 4 yrs younger

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I had one of 'Stanley Steamer's' old vans. Some idiot painted it bright orange, without removing their signs. What a mess! Not only that, he had bought it in Florida so it had no heater, which wasn't a good idea in SW Ohio. I bought it right after I was released from active duty to reopen my business. Only a few customers asked 'why'? but agreed that no one would suspect it was loaded down with thousands of dollars worth of parts and tools.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I would. I'd like to see the Ku band communications system I built in use, in space. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:57:21 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Me, for one.

Mad Science! Romance! Tea!

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Jim Stewart on or about Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:16:05 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

When the Challenger blew up on take off, I said "If they called me up and said 'Peter, we've got a seat on the next one, do you want to go?' I'd say "yes!' in a New York Minute!" I figured, if nothing else I could be the first History Major to get blown up, otherwise, I'd be the first History Major in Space!

But they never called.

pyotr filipivich