Temporary Fixes

Some time back I had to replace the pump on my shop air compressor. Since I used a third party pump, shop built adapter plate to mount it, and needed to
get it going right now I used a 175 PSI rated piece of plastic air line bent in a loop. I had copper line on hand, but I've never had much luck bending short pieces without kinking it. I figured I'd order a proper tubing bender, and fix it properly in a few weeks. Well about 8 months later - yesterday - that "temporary" air line blew. It had gotten brittle and hard. Probably from the heat cycling so close to the pump.
Note to self: Add another jobs board to the shop for temporary repairs that need permanent repairs. LOL.
Anyway, I was back at the same point I was before. I needed to bend a piece of copper tube less than ten inches long to an exact fit between the pump and the check valve. Still none of the vendors that are open at the time of the evening had one in stock. Not one I would own anyway. I bent a piece by hand and with holes in the frame of my steel work bench that was a fair fit us... with some small kinks, and it probably would have worked fine, but I wanted to do better. Packing with sand is an option I have used, but bending and forming small pieces by hand is tough. I needed a tool.
The holes in the work bench frame worked fine except of course they have little or no radius. You wind up with a series of tiny kinks or one big kink if you get to aggressive with it. I have a coupe dozen pulleys and sheaves hanging on the back wall from various salvage. I clamped one in one of the bench vises and pushed the copper tube down into it. It slightly ovaled the tube, but it worked amazingly well. I matched it up to my kinky test fit piece, trimmed the ends to length and it dropped into place on the first try.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 12:00:01 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Nice job Bob!
--
Email address is a Spam trap.