Metric Trapezoidal Threads

I need to machine some metric trapezoidal threads. Both internal and
external.
What's the best way to do that?
Is hand grinding the tools going to be my best approach? I think maybe it
is since they are for making molds of two mating parts. The molds can't be
of the exact thread forms or the parts won't fit together. A proper cutting
tool for those threads might not produce what I need. I'm still thinking my
way through the process.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
There's guy on Youtube that ground his own tools for making ACME threads. Same thing as trapezoidal. Only different. He has a channel. This Old Tony.
Steve
Reply to
shiggins
There's guy on Youtube that ground his own tools for making ACME threads. Same thing as trapezoidal. Only different. He has a channel. This Old Tony.
Steve
**************** Thanks Steve. I actually follow his channel and I've seen the "ACME? Ac-You" title a few times. I don't think I ever watched it before. Thanks again.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
A local vendor who has closed sold me an imported 3-axis angle vise like this that I use to surface-grind angular and trapezoidal threading and spline milling bits.

Jim Wilkins
A local vendor who has closed sold me an imported 3-axis angle vise like this that I use to surface-grind angular and trapezoidal threading and spline milling bits.

The link brings up a CNC tool grinder. If that's what he gave you.... WOW! I'm impressed.
You reminded my I have an antique (its so old the cords have cloth wrap) basic tool grinder on the shelf that I saved from going into the dumpster on a house clean out from a hoarder who passed on. Its halfway apart and needs to be taken all the way apart, but it might just be a good project to move up the projects board.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
I wish! My surface and cutter grinder is a small manual machine from the 1940's.
The vise is similar to the vise on multiple swivels on the table of the green manual tool & cutter grinder. I used it for example to grind a trapezoidal bit to spline a shaft to accept a motorcycle final drive sprocket, in the transmission on my sawmill.
I machined the shaft grooves slightly too small and pressed on the sprocket, so the bit geometry didn't have to match exactly.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins