Is this tool a gimmick or is it actually useful?

I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and somehow this popped up: (Amazon.com product link shortened)¢UMZM8Z72JU6D&psc=1
. I've never seen one before. It's basically a press brake in pliers form :-). Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick material. Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool is mainly used in bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and width within 100mm iron edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless steel letter edges." What are fiber or letter edges? Looks cute, but does it have sufficient leverage or do you need to be the Hulk to squeeze the handles? Can anyone say if it's a real tool or will it break on the third pull?
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames
On 07-Dec-18 10:46 AM, Carl wrote:

I think if you 'overloaded' it those vertical linkages that are in compression would buckle very quickly.
Maybe the letter edges is something to do with signage?
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+letter+edge+bender&t ÿab&atb=v145-6__&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images>
Add pictures here
✖

    If it works, it isn't a gimmick. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36 -0500

Interesting and new to me too. One of the other suggested similar tools has some videos on youtube. They are used to make metal channel letters for sales, marketing, displays... watch some of the youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Handheld+Portable+Metal+Letter+Bender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcGp6OX3VA

I suspect it would work okay for those thin metals...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

You too, thanks for pointing it out. I'll remember it if and when I need something like that :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

    Which is what it appears to be made for: on the job tweaks of thin stock.
    Beats having to haul a pressbrake out to the jobsite. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 07:48:12 -0800

If you didn't already... watch the video in the second link, at least some of it. Not that long. The dude really cooks, making letter shapes with a similar tool ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

That Blackstone bender looked a lot more heavy duty, and you could see that he used a bar in the end for leverage on the heavier metal.
(That H-E product might require gorilla hands for 4" stock, Carl.)
I have a magnetic, vise-jaw-mounted v-bender which works alright for small and narrow items. http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p2011&cat=1,43456,43407
--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross

It looks like it would be useful up on a ladder fitting flashing to a window etc, or making large raised letters for a sign. The open end lets it clear previous up or down bends, like folding a box.
For electronic chassis work I think its max of 0.024" is too light. I've used 0.032" aluminum for small boxes but hand pressure can deform it.
-jsw
Add pictures here
✖