what is this tool III ?

Best guess so far is a ball-turning tool. The tool bit holder is slightly angled towards centre. About 6 inches long overall.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

According to Jordan :

If you're going to keep posting these things, could you *please* include the *full* URL (in addition to the tinyurl for those who prefer them), so I may have a chance to figure out why the tinyurl you give just stops very shortly into the download? Tinyurl sort of minimizes the diagnostic information available.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Doesn't it just point to my website? The full URL shows up in the address bar by the time it starts to download.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Here's what I see as the URL when I get to the image

WB metalwork> According to Jordan :

Reply to
Wild Bill

Wes S

snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (D>According to Jordan :

Reply to
clutch

Reply to
woodworker88

If it did have a handle, it's missing. The steel securing bush on the end has a radial grubscrew, and also an axial countersunk screw in the end. The bush is actually shaped like a cup with a csk hole in it. I guess it's more positive in maintaining end float. Thanks Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

[ ... ]

It doesn't *start* to download, as far as I can tell.

It shows "Document 814 B" in a loading bar, and gets about

1/10th of the way along the bar and hangs.

Elsewhere, it shows (in part) "loading from members.optusnet.com"

O.K. Trying another system, with a different browser (and which does not have to go through my firewall) I discover that there should be a '.au' on the end of that. And that my firewall is blocking that for some as yet undetermined reason. Perhaps because I've gotten spam from that IP block in the past.

Anyway -- it *looks* like some kind of miniature boring head and spindle on a strange mount.

I presume that there is a setscrew in the projection with the adjustable offset.

And I see no clear hint (in the photo) of the size. Including a

6" scale (or other size as appropriate) might make it easier to guess. Looking back, I see that you did include a length estimate in the text here.

Another photo from the nose end, and one from the other might help.

It is probably something made in-shop to solve a specific problem. And whoever made it is probably at least retired, if not dead already.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for your thoughts Don. Sounds like it's not a tinyurl problem - rather something to do with my website and how your computer deals with it. I try to limit the number of times I post my actual URL, as I've heard it can be harvested by the baddies. There is a grubscrew as you guessed, to hold a cutting bit most likely. I'm inclined to go with it being a ball-turning attachment for a lathe, and will test and report. Missing is the handle, so I'll need to make up something. Never used such a tool before, should be interesting.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan