Tesla Turbine

(Please forgive the nonsensical units with which I was crippled as a youth. The following is all probably in gross error, but it's interesting.)

The back of the envelope says that air has a mass of about 20.7 ounces per cubic foot after it is compressed to 100 PSIG. An 80 cu ft cylinder could contain air massing 1656 oz.

If you exhausted that mass through a 100 percent efficient TT at sea level in one second, you would expect to see about 140 watt-seconds of energy converted from compressed air into work at the shaft end.

(Thought experiment: TT has 24" diameter rotor. 1.29 lbs of force placed at the circumference for a torque of 1.29 lb. ft. at the shaft. That torque, for one second is about 1/426 horsepower or 1.749 watt.) At 1.749 watt seconds per cubic foot, an 80 cubic foot cylinder should contain about 139.9 watt seconds of energy if it were initially at 100 PSIG. Clearly I am assuming a massless rotor and no loss incurred in the process of measuring the power!)

So if you measured, say 70 watt - seconds of energy at the shaft, you could peg the efficiency of the TT at 50%.

Physics majors, are these *anywhere near* the real numbers?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

RoyJ

A thought, maybe not a good one..but perhaps a laminar flow element, aka LFE would be useful to inject air or gas into the rotor section. A LFE can simply be made from closely spaced plates - perhaps your existing plate spacing on your rotor could be used. It works by having a large channel length to diameter ratio. The renolds number is a function of the LD ratio, so with smaller channels, laminar flow can be maintained. Laminar flow elements are often used for flow measurement devices, as the delta P is linear over awide range of flow. Refer to a Perry's or Marks handbook to calculate the channel size need for laminar flow at your mass flow rate.

Ken Davey wrote:

Reply to
oldjag

Oh, that should be fun -- I can just imagine what kind of gyroscopic forces you will be fighting at 20,000 rpm with the disk platters and trying to move it around. But I do like the work -- looks cool - and probably thick enough side walls if the disks explode (I have no idea what max speed on them would be).

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Probably not. Ya gotta include thermodynamics because temperature is not constant when there is expansion and pressure is affected by temperature.

When the term "entropy" appears, my eyes glaze and I quietly retreat.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don Foreman wrote: (...)

(G)

So the force to the edge of the TT rotor is going to be some fraction of (the mass of the air times the difference in the airs velocity from the tank to the volute of the TT)? Hmmm.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston