thanks all 1st project complete

Over the past couple weeks I have posted a few questions and gotten good
answers plus I have searched through the past posts for data. I used the
info gained form this group to chose my equipment and got help on how to use
it.
I have never touched a lathe or mill till I unpacked mine this past
Wednesday.
well I thought my first project would be a stainless steel wedding band so
Friday I when to the local steel yard and picked up a 12" X 1" piece of
round stock, yesterday morning I leveled my lathe which was no easy task I
ended up making some screw feet out of 5/8" bolts and 1/4" X 3" plate plus
some nuts and washers, then I got to work.
I chucked up the SS bar in the 3 way and drilled a 1/2" hole using a drill
chuck on the tail stock then tried to bore the whole out but the tooling I
have is too big so I cut off about 3" of the bar and took it to the mill and
clamped it to an angle plate then I bored the whole out with a 3/4" endmill
after which I returned to the lathe and bored it to fit, turned the outside
dim. cut two groves, tapered the edges and cut it off.
and that's it job complete

I just wanted to say thanks, with out your help I would still be sitting
here trying to decide which machine to buy. I hope in time I will be able to
provide useful info to the group.
Reply to
James Schenck
"Cannot find server"
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
Nice looking work, James. What did you use to cut the grooves? Did you grind a tool or use one of theose nifty insert groove cutters?
Reply to
Alan Raisanen
Congratulations! Nice Job. Welcome to the world of machinists!
Mark
Nice!
People seem to be having trouble so I hope you don't mind my copying it:
Tim
-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams