The BEST lathe ever

Maybe, but the 10EE LOOKS better! IMHO, too bad about some of the electronics they used, they worked well, but a pita to maintain old ones.

Reply to
Dave Gee

Or buld a fine chronometer.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, is is one hell of a machine. Oddly enough..I ran across one yesterday. The fellow that is rebuilding the heads for my truck has one. Minty minty minty. And it sits right in front of the biggest picture window in the machine shop..right where the customers come up the sidewalk to enter the building.

Good advertising I think

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

It's difficult to convey that message to someone that hasn't been there. Does a man that has never experienced the convenience of electricity miss it? Probably not------but try taking it away from someone like me-------especially my three phase service.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

snip

Thanks for your reply to my post and info on the VFDs. It seems the VFD is rather expensive and the 3phase motor is cheap, whereas the DC motor is expensive and the controller is not that bad. Aside from the cost issue do you see any advantages of one system over the other?

Reply to
Al MacDonald

"> Thinking about lathes and wondered what feedback I could get by asking the

A note of thanks to all who responded to my query on 'the best lathes'. It's great to know what machines are out there that will do the job well, regardless if I can find one (or afford it). Who knows, I may trip over one on the way to work tomorrow.

Al MacDonald

Reply to
Al MacDonald

had a logan 10": the best for me for learning and for a resonable home/hobby lathe.

now I have a clausing VS13 which is much larger but oh-my- is it a nice bit of lathe.

for eveyone who is pumping the 10EE and the Rivett stuff, how about Hardinge HVLH? in my limited experience it's an amazing lathe. carriage and ways built like a brick, incredibly smooth and quiet, and you've got to love the quick in-out lever for when you're single-pointing threads.

That's my next step if i win the lottery!

Reply to
joel

The DC drive that comes with the 10EE is actually better than most (it not all) VFDs. 3 or 5HP, 100:1 ratio, constant torque to the motor's base speed and constant HP thereafter. 40-4000 RPM on the knob, 6:1 backgear down on the motor so the gear noise doesn't make it to the spindle. Very hard to beat, and if it's one of the "Works in a Drawer" tube drive you have the added bonus of things looking like Doctor Frankenstein's laboratory while running (something about foot high thyratrons glowing brightly...)

The Hardinge HVLH is a very nice lathe as well, but more lightly built than the 10EE. Still, the 10EE has a very nice feel - I was able to turn .0005" off the diameter of a shaft a friend brought over to make it fit a bushing - it had to be turned because it was lobed and anything else would have knocked down the low parts and not simply made it round.

I hesitate to mention this, but there are before and after shots here:

I rebuilt this 10EE over a couple of years, finishing early last year by having the bed regound and refitting the saddle and cross slide.

Reply to
Russ Kepler

Very nice work!

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I rather like mine

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

There is a 20 x 54 Lodge & Shipley on eBay right now - Item number: 7578594593 It looks ... magnificent.

Reply to
Fred R

You, sir, are a craftsman. What a beautiful restoration.

Reply to
gfulton

Indeed. Fantastic work.

OK I give up though, Russ - what is the bar that rests on the hooks on the front of the machine for?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Knockout bar for the spindle.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Agreed.

Absolutely outstanding work.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Ouch, if I had replaced those spindle bearings I don't think I'd be shocking them like that. Then again if it came stock with the machine, it really has to be present on a concours restoration like that!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen