The evolution of the sewing machine

This is a video of about 20 minutes, made by a British TV station in conjunction with the British Science Museum, on the evolution of the sewing machine -- made of metal with metal cams, levers, needles, etc. I found it interesting and entertaining, hope you do too.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This episode in on vacuum cleaners:

refrigerator
TV
Word processor
photo copier
central heating
washing machine
FAX
Electric light

Clark Magnuson

Thanx Don. Very informative video. It has inspired me to repair the wife's sewing machine (Singer of course). She has been after me to fix it for several years.

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney

I enjoyed it too. Many people seem to think Mr Singer invented the domestic sewing machine, but the video mentions the what I think was the real reason for his success - he introduced buying on credit. Otherwise far fewer households could have managed to purchase what must have been a very big investment in the early days, but justifiable in terms of how much money and time could be saved.

For a really good treatise on how to repair domestic sewing machines, complete with charming and perfectly descriptive hand-drawn illustrations, have you seen "Robinson's Sewing Machine Repair Manual"?

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

M Berger

I want to be Tim Hunkin when I fail to grow up.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

**************************************************************************************************************** I know what I will be doing this weekend.

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

> refrigerator

> TV

> Word processor

> photo copier

> central heating

> washing machine

> FAX

> Electric light

I watched these on VHS 10 years ago. My favorite was the vacuum cleaner episode. They show how people put plastic bags around the paper bag, defeating the function.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Sigh..on dialup..its gonna take me a year....

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
M Berger

Yeah, it really looks like he had full artistic freedom in making this series! Lucky dog. I nearly laffed my ass off when he tried to hold back the water coming thru the solenoid valve in the washing machine show. The show is so real. That stuff really happens! "Connections" is another show that was very cool also. Tom

Reply to
t.hoehler

"t.hoehler" wrote in news:D8idnXKFXvZ1JDfYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Connections was a great show! I think the Science Channel played the entire series end to end a while back and I got all the episodes on a couple of DVDs :) Have to dig them out and watch em again. I also like his series, 'The Day the Universe Changed' even got the book to go with the series.

Bill

Reply to
Bill