The Rebuild Begins

I finally got the rest of my motor back on Friday ...

Today was spent getting the block mounted on the stand so I could work on it , then on to installing the crank . Plastigage on every single journal , and every one was between .001" and .0015" . Turned smooth as silk! That turned out so well I decided to install some pistons . Ring end gaps were all just a RCH over .020 (spec is .010-.020 top , .010-.025

2nd & oil) , and all 4 rod bearing shells were right at .0015" . I'll install the other 4 pistons tomorrow , along with the new high flow oil pump and rear main seal (it's a one piece , the first I've worked with) and maybe the cam and timing set . "Having a great time wish you were here!"
Reply to
Snag

I finally got the rest of my motor back on Friday ...

Today was spent getting the block mounted on the stand so I could work on it , then on to installing the crank . Plastigage on every single journal , and every one was between .001" and .0015" . Turned smooth as silk! That turned out so well I decided to install some pistons . Ring end gaps were all just a RCH over .020 (spec is .010-.020 top , .010-.025

2nd & oil) , and all 4 rod bearing shells were right at .0015" . I'll install the other 4 pistons tomorrow , along with the new high flow oil pump and rear main seal (it's a one piece , the first I've worked with) and maybe the cam and timing set . "Having a great time wish you were here!"

--------------------

What's your assembly lube?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

RCH?

Reply to
David Billington

I'm using CRC assembly lube #SL3331 . Moly plus Graphite , first run break-in lube will be Rotella T4 15W-40 . `1200ppm ZDDP , critical for flat tappet cam initial break-in . I plan to run Rotella T4 in this one because it has 1200 ppm ZDDP , and I use only Wix filters .

Reply to
Snag

Red c**t hair . Usually .003-.005 " .

Reply to
Snag

Said to be the finest.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That one wasn't in the acronym dictionary and likely won't be added but noted for future reference.

Reply to
David Billington

I can verify that ...

Reply to