Threaded 5/16" rod breaks under high torque?

I applied torque to a 5/16" threaded steel rod purchased from Lowe's, using a 36 V cordless drill on its high torque setting. The rod twisted
apart, it broke. Should I be concerned about that when using ordinary 5/16" nuts? I suspect not, just double checking. Thanks.
The all thread rods are usually some very soft low carbon steel. The critical diameter is the root diameter of the thread so you were probably working with 40kpsi tensile strength working on a effective diameter of around .250"