Threaded Tapers

Hi guys,
I've seen pictures of threaded tapers being machined on lathes and was wondering what the hell use they are? I mean, since the diameter of
the threaded section is constantly varying, what can it possibly be screwed into? I cannot imagine any nut or internal thread that would accommodate such a piece of work.
Kindly disabuse me of my ignorance if you can, thanks.
P.
I saw something like that, on the base of a camera, back in the film days. The threaded taper would atach the camera to a tripod. Other than that, I havn't seen such.
Hi guys,
I've seen pictures of threaded tapers being machined on lathes and was wondering what the hell use they are? I mean, since the diameter of the threaded section is constantly varying, what can it possibly be screwed into? I cannot imagine any nut or internal thread that would accommodate such a piece of work.
Kindly disabuse me of my ignorance if you can, thanks.
P.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 08:17:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I haven't seen any threaded tapers for tripod-attaching, just 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 straight threads, but mechanical remote shutter releases often have a tapered thread, as clearly seen in following photo. <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OldCamera_CableRelease.jpg
--
jiw

On 7/29/2012 8:00 AM, phaedrus wrote:

Pipe threads are tapered... It makes it more likely to seal when tight.

Please elaborate further. Pipe taps are tapered, and spring winding mandrels could be mistaken for taps.
jsw
No, it's not a pipe thread; very much steeper taper than a pipe thread...
One such as I refer to appears in South Bend's handbook, How to Run a Lathe at p.82. Sorry I have no facilities to upload a scan of the picture. :(
Jim Wilkins wrote:

BTW, is there a FAQ for this group?
I'll start writing it.
BTW, is there a FAQ for this group?

There is one.
Scott Logan used to post a link to it every month, but I think he got so disgusted with the political bs that he gave up.
http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/faqa.html
Paul K. Dickman

    Yes -- but at least a decade out of date. Whoever was maintaining it (at a college) must have retired, and the files are just still there (last I checked), along with archives of many years of postings until that script was shut down. It was not a particularly smart script, so if you are on a Windows system, be warned that it archived a few copies of a virus current at the time. :-)
    Here is the URL:
    <http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/
and it is still there.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

The picture in the SB book is just an illustration. Exaggerated to make the setup clear. If you need a to see something modern, threaded with that much taper look at a tapered buffing spindle.
Paul K. Dickman
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:25:23 -0700 (PDT), phaedrus

http://wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm 44 page booklet. P.82 does not compute. Was it another handbook?
(Unfortunately, I probably can't help you but I'm curious, just the same.)
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

I suspect that drawing exaggerates the length to make the taper more evident than it would be on a real pipe tap.
http://www.hycrack.co.uk /
jsw

    O.k. That reminds me of another use. The arbors on which buffing wheels are mounted. You need a right-hand thread on one side of the grinder used to drive it, and a left-hand one on the other side. Just push the buffer on, then switch on and it self tightens.

    Probably a buffing wheel arbor. Or just a demonstration on how to do it. O.K. Looking at the copy which I have here, it actually states in the description "Tapered screw threads, such as pipe threads ... " Obviously, the one being shown is not a pipe thread, but it could be used as the arbor for a buffing wheel. Or just to train an apprentice on how to do it.
    This is in Volume 1 Edition 50 which happens to be within reach.
    If I had a matching taper tap, I might use it for studs designed to screw in and wedge really tight.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 05:00:32 -0700 (PDT), phaedrus

Pipe perhaps.
Oil drilling pipe tool joints are also taper threaded. Cheers, John B.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/mopp_1203_cast_iron_cylinder_head_crack_repair/index.html
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 05:00:32 -0700, phaedrus wrote:

No one's mentioned wood screws yet, which are tapered along their length, or sheet metal screws, which are tapered at the nose.
Aren't taps tapered?
Spring winding mandrels -- I never thought of that.
--
Tim Wescott
On Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:53:54 AM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:

Modern taps aren't really tapered, the threads are just on a tapered shaft (the top of the crest is ground off of the leading teeth, so cutting is progressive and not done all with the first tooth). But, old-timey taps WERE tapered, so you could get any tightness of nut you wanted.
This was important when bolts were made with threading-plate type dies (with poor diameter control) on forged rods (again, with poor diameter control).
Another tapered-screw application is seen on the pilot of auger-type wood boring bits. Yet another, is sometimes seen on citrus juicers.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:03:58 -0700, whit3rd wrote:

<snip>

Which reminds me of the puree-ing attachment on our Kitchen-aid mixer, which is a long tapered screw into a conical screen.
--
Tim Wescott

The threads aren't (except for pipe). The taper is a separate grind that creates the cutting edges. Run a nut onto one and examine the free play.
jsw