New toy-pictures in drop box

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the room..shrug)
I didnt argue too hard......
Its a Taiwanese horizontal/verticle kneemill, about 1/2 the size of a BP. A beautiful size for the home shop and great for gunsmithing and similar work. There are a few minor issues that Im resolving now, mostly regarding the powerfeed and the effects of a maint department that was, charitably...fast..or half fast.
Both spindles run rather well, though the vertical spindle only has one speed due to some ethiopian engineering of relays...
Ive seen this miller badged with Yamazan and other names besides Hales. Its very similar to the excellent old Rockwell hor/vert miller though perhaps a bit beefier.
Anyone might have a wiring diagram for this critter? The ah..modifications they did..sorta preclude doing much tracing... I may wind up putting a VFD on the vert spindle, and be done with it.
It has 3 motors...one not shown in the photos..a rather large motor behind the slide that runs the power feed, which now works..when it stays in gear..wants to run in rapid...gear driven with a gear box... and no sheer pin that I can find..not a good combination when there are only roller topped limit switches, both of which were frozen solid....
Both spindles are R8 and the bearings are in excellent shape and run quietly. Any suggestions on R8 Horizontal arbor? Or should I simply make up a couple arbors and use the 1" endmill holder to hold them? (probably what Ill do) Any suggestions on type of material to use for a 7/8", 1", and 1 1/4" arbor? Stressproof? At most, I believe they will be 12" long.
It might be handy with a face mill as well.
At the least, it should make a handy drill press.
Someday when Im rich and famous, Ill stick a Shooting Star or similar DRO on it, unless I can find a small used unit. This might be a good place for some of those digital caliper type indicators on Ebay. Ideas/suggestions?
Thanks for any info you might have.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales.txt
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
calmly ranted:

Hey, just my size and price! I should bring some window panes with me when I come down. It looks like you could use a couple. I saved half a dozen of the single-glazed panes when I went to duals. The first one I put in made the room 10 degrees warmer within half an hour, even with the bedroom door open. I was amazed.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:19:41 -0800, Larry Jaques

We had 70 mph winds during the week. Just to the left of the busted windows, out of the frame, is a modest cactus garden. The wind blew the top off a big one and it took out both windows. I was in LA when it happened, so they boarded them up with some masonite I have that oddly enough was the perfect size. Glass here at the local glass shop is NOT cheap, so as customers pay me this month, Ill replace them. Second time for replacing one of them. The wife was playing catch with the dogs and bounced a soft ball off the floor and right out the window.
I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think this one will stay with me <G>
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
calmly ranted:

So I read. Wild!

Oops!
How big is that? Got any minis?
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:19:13 -0800, Larry Jaques

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill hunt around for you.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
calmly ranted:

Anything under about saaaay...900 pounds, eh? <g> When you saidyou put me on your "hobby list" I thought you grokked that. (I see that the 016-A is about double that.)
Sherline, Homier, Grizzly, HF, Taig, etc. would be ideal, but a very small knee mill might not be out of the question. Low ducats, rebuildable or running, if you must, a pristine specimen for free. (Y'like how I built up to that one?) <chortle>
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:40:22 -0800, Larry Jaques

Ill hunt around. Its a hell of a lot easier for me to find Big Iron, than tinsy stuff as there is little of the Barbie Playshop stuff in use commercially.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
calmly ranted:

No judgement there, huh? <bseg>
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:33:21 -0800, Larry Jaques

The statement is the result OF judgment. I dont do model work. If I only made tinsy stuff, a small machine would be great. However..I just sold my last one to a lurker here (Lorch) because I had no need for it. Now the smallest lathe I have is the Hardinge HLV-H, not counting a nice little Katakura Turret Lathe which I also have nearly no use for. Though it is fun to make air quick disconnect fittings with. Uses 4C collets. When I finish rebuilding the Weiler 5c turret lathe..the little one will go away and Ill get some dead presidents in return.
Need it? Its a cutey and does nice work. Ill even toss in some tooling.
Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you since your conception.
Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.
Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and taking what good and joy you can before her success.
Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.
Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human interaction." John Husvar
calmly ranted:

Shucks. I'm not into modeling, either, but most of the things I have needed a mill and lathe for are small, such as a pivot for a bathtub shower spray head, small brass fittings, bearing retainers and flanges, etc.

Thanks but no. For a lathe, I definitely need only the small desktop type. There isn't room here for a larger one. That's one major reason I'm hesitant to come down there to go shopping. <g>
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:32:43 -0800, Larry Jaques

Then I cant talk you into the Logan 14"? Or a very nice Clausing/Colchester 17"? Sigh.
How about a cat(s) or dog(s)?
[...]

Maybe if you put it into your Shrinkerator(tm) and made it a 7...

No, I even got tired of feeding stray cats because they marked my trees too often and I don't appreciate the smell of cat piss in the morning as I get my paper. As to dogs, I'll pass, having enough stew meat already, thanks. <eg>
- In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare ------ http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development
Excellent looking little machine. Looks a little like the Garvin I picked up with an M head on it.
Think it is hard finding info on a Yamazan, try looking up Garvin ! Both seem to be oddballs, but do fill a unique space in the shop.
Why not hang some motors on it and CNC it in your spare time ? Thats my plan for my Garvin, but the "spare time" has not showed up yet.
Chris L
On 1 Jan 2005 22:09:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@lakefield.net wrote:

Spare time???? Whats that?
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
alt.machines.cnc :

    What you had last summer - you know, between all the calls?

--
pyotr filipivich.
Gunner wrote:

Surely the vert spindle has a stepped pulley drive?
Tom

Yup..but it evidently has a two speed motor. Not according to the data plate, but according to the Vertical high/low switch on the control panel and a hand written note inside the control box telling how to change the speed to high.
A VFD sounds better and better.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
Gunner wrote:

I have the 3 axis verison of the same mill. Minus the power feed, and the bridgeport type head. so the only thing left the same is the base and x/y ways. It is badged a LuxMill. But I have seen the same thing as a Jet a few years back. So whoever is making the base is still around. The biggest issue is the y-travel if you put a normal 6" vise on it. The brass acme nuts are really soft too, so you may find it has a lot of backlash, or will soon.
clay

Thanks for the alternate names. The z axis nuts, are split, but the wierd thing is..the nut on the outside is missing most..most of the threads except for 1.5 threads on the inside, which are almost perfect. It looks like someone may have dropped it or hit the table with something really hard and blew off the threads in the nut..but one would assume it would take all of them, not just some. Im a bit confused.
Currently the table is off as the ways were a bit munged up with debris and some rust, and I need to replace all the plastic lines for the Chinese copy of the Bejur oiler. Its been a long time since they worked. Fortunately, the last owner didnt use the axis's much as they were using an air powered feed unit held in the vise. But the nut issue still bothers the hell out of me. The lead screw seems straight with little wear, but the split nut really really needs replacement.
Ive got a very nice 4" vise that I swapped Stuff for and have been sitting on for a year or more. It came with a swivel based Palmgren 4" which happens to have an air assembly stuck in it. A quick attempt to remove it showed its tightened in there really good. Ill have to bolt the vise back down and reef on it.
If you notice in the pictures, the base is quite tall. It appears to be a coolant tank, but I cannot find any sort of drain. There are two pipe fittings on either side, and a valve sticks out of the port side of the machine, but turning on the coolant switch does nothing. Its possible that the coolant pump (if any) is in the column with the horizontal motor. Ive yet to pull the back cover off that section yet. It would be damned poor engineering if they didnt bother to put at the least, a drain plug in the base.
Im taking it slow, as I need this like I need a third thumb, but its so damned cute.....<G>