Update on Mystery Bolt from Clausing 8540

I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or 5/8-11 thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS. However, the internal pattern looks exactly like the inside of a 12 point socket. I have no idea what this nut is called or where to find the appropriate bit or key to remove it properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Have you *tried* using Allen keys in it? It may simply be designed so you have more options of how to orient the Allen key.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

internal

938-4564

That has crossed my mind and I am going to try that, however I do not think that is the case. Right now I do not have an allen wrench big enough for the nut. I would say it will take an Allen wrench at least a

1/2" across. Thanks, Steve
Reply to
Sierevello

It's an Allenut...

A regular hex key will fit.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The head of a 5/16" bolt might be a better fit and cheaper, too.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You need a 1/2" hex wrench, rather hard to find.

Harbor Freight has a long set in a metal box containing this size.

Richard J Kinch

Ill be damned. Thats a "star" fastener. Have you tried an allen wrench in it? Often times they will fit, the same way a 12pt socket fits a hex nut.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

1/2" it is, at least on mine..hummmmm

Pause.....

pant pant..back now..

I just went out and checked mine and its just like yours and yes, a

1/2" allen fits. Id never noticed mine before being this way, as the allen always fit just fine. If you are short an allen wrench, simply stack a couple nuts on the appropriat sized hex bolt, and use them to turn the head of the hexbolt, which is inserted into the fastener. Sometimes a tiny tackweld will keep em together if its really tight.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Ill be damned. Thanks Ned! First time Ive paid much attention to those.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

That's it Ned...Thanks -Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Reply to
Michelle P

Get a twelve point bolt and screw on an double set of nuts. Invert the bolt and put a wrench on the nuts. YOu could tack weld the nuts if the slip. THose type of nuts are used where minumum clearance for a wrench is available and maximum strength is required. The are commonly used in aircraft as well as other applications. An allen wrench should fit the nut too but it is only driving on six points and may slip. I believe I have some twelve point drivers for them but nothing as big as 1/2 inch.

John

Reply to
john

ITS PROBABLY A SPINE FASTENER. YOU CAN GET THOSE TOOLS AT SEARS LIKE I SAID BEFORE.

GO TO SEARS AND LOOK IN THEIR AUTOMOTIVE TOOLS SECTION.

THEY PROBABLY HAVE WHAT YOU NEED.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen