It followed me home, darling, honest...

New toy - lovely little Villiers gas-fuelled engine with red cowl and pull-start connected to an Erskine 24V DC generator. The ensemble in a skid of square-section tubing, all painted battleship grey. It is nearly pristine and hasn't got many hours - the oil is clean and clear!

The engine is S/N 27557 and Type C12.21.01, the generator is S/N 48058, Type GR 24 V, producing .55KW at 3000 rpm, 24.1V, 22.5A. It has a small distribution panel with ammeter and four round two-round-pin sockets. Looks military to me, as the spark plug lead and plug are shielded and shrouded respectively.

Anyone have any idea who and what it was for? If it was a charging set, the voltage seems a bit low for 24V batteries and kind of high for 12V. Standby lighting?

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

In message , Dave Croft writes

That makes sense - the chap I bought it from is an ex-BT engineer. Mind you, he told me he got it from his father-in-law... I suppose his father-in-law could have worked for BT too. It definitely has that "government" feel to it, there's just something about the build quality and the finish...

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Don't be put off by the presence of a shaft, my father used to run his grindstone on a rotary converter from a WW11 plane. It gave 240V from 24V. Don't know anymore details, this all from memory. I do know that it gave very little power at the shaft when run with the 240V as a motor.

John

Reply to
John Manders

In message , John Manders writes

Shaft? It has a recoil starter, that's the closest it gets to a shaft :-)

Should this be in the rotary convertor thread perchance?

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales