tipping fountain pen nibs

Hi,

On Fountain Pen Network I started a post about how pen nibs are made. A lot of the better pens have an iridium tip on a gold or steel nib. How does one get a small amount of iriduim (platinum group) on a thin piece of sheet metal?

My Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight lists "plating on the tips of fountain pens for durablility (especially osmium) as a use for the Platinum Group.

I think this is a better group to ask then the jewelry making newsgroup.

matthew ohio

Reply to
MatthewK

I would be interested in that as well. I've collected and repaired fountain pens for a number of years (hobby) and I would like to take a stab at rebuilding some good but warn out nibs.

Al

Reply to
Al

So far the only reference I turned up to tippin has been on alt.collecting.pens-pencils

an email address for someone.

matthew ohio

Reply to
MatthewK