Tire weight alloy

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:09:56 -0800, pyotr filipivich

And when you buy it, the cartridges are only, at best, half full, so you are still much farther ahead buying ink for it than throwing it away and buying a new one when the ink runs out.
Don't know about that model, but on the earlier Pixmas, the 3000,nd 4000 series,up to at least the 4820, refilling the cartridges is very simple and the ink is only about $5 an ounce in Canada, so likely about $2 in Yankee-land.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:11:35 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I could probably refill them for less than Costco, but - I can get all five cartridges done in an hour, without having to mess with them to any extent - for that price.     Some times, it is worth it to me, to pay them for having the tools and workspace. Not to mention the practice. (I was doing something recently, and said "I have the notes on this, but no idea where they got put." Finally figured it out, and the rest of the process went like cats sliding across the kitchen floor after the string.) -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:20:21 -0800, pyotr filipivich

I gave up inkjets a long time ago due to the cost. The Samsung CLP-600N I now own $400 on sale, with a $200 rebate: $200 final cost. Toner carts are $65-90 each for 4, BUT, I found fine toner + the little PCB chips for counting usage for $65. That was last year, over 4 years after I bought the color laser printer. I love it, BTW. All except the damned takeoff-end-of-runway turbine noises it makes when running. It's quiet but disturbing as hell. For the price, I love it and it's turned on ONLY when it needs to be used.
Refilling took, IIRC, 37 minutes for the rebuilds. 1 sheet of newspaper and a moist paper towel were destroyed during the engagement. That makes the cost about $17 a year. I can live with that burden for nice color laser prints.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

I installed a cis on my ip8420, but I put about 5 gallons of ink through 20 some HP Officejet 8000 pro printers per year. - all through the cartridges.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:28:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I take it that was for the school? Why didn't you/they come to your senses and go with a laser printer? Total costs are 1/3 of inkjets, and they don't smear with water or damp palms.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:42:47 -0800, Larry Jaques

Not for a school. Insurance office - and they also have a number of laser printer/copiers. There is a lot of printing done in insurance offices - they kill a LOT of trees. The laser printers are also very well used (and require a LOT of service) At the current cost of ink the inkjet still has a very slight advantage in per page cost - the latest 30% hike in ink cost, due in part to the sinking Canadian dollar, narrowed the gap significantly. A laser on each desk would be a real headache. Good inkjet prints don't smudge with normal handling, and I can wet a finger and rub the print a few minutes after printing and it doen't run or smudge at all. (It's good ink)
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:21:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's something that really pisses me off. If they used duplex printers, that would cut their use nearly in half.

If they bought new machines every once in awhile, that would change. Quality would go up, maintenance down, and happiness would soar.

Networked printers are good for that. Now that color lasers have dropped in price, I've found that they're much cheaper than inkjets. Maybe our countries have different brands or something. ;)

Hmm...I'll believe that when I see it, and I haven't yet. YMMV.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:21:36 -0800, Larry Jaques

Every damned one of them IS a duplex printer. The Inkjets are HP Officejet Pro 8000 units.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 23:19:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OK, pardon me. I've never seen a high-end injket which printed duplex, only lasers.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 05:36:52 -0800, Larry Jaques

They don't even need to be "high end" - my lowly Cannon ip4820 is a duplex printer and it was under $100 brand new.
You can't judge inkjet printers on the basis of $49.99 throw-away junk.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 20:59:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You're the first person ever to mention duplex inkjets to me. Shocking, it is.

I haven't. I've been judging them on the basis of a wide variety of inkjet brands priced from $29-$499 for, what?, a couple decades now.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:04:10 -0800, Larry Jaques

We've had duplex inkjets for about 7 or 8 years already -
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:05:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It really surprises me that I haven't seen anything about it. Of course, when I see "ink", I usually pass on the article, but I surely would have been interested to see a duplex inker. Velly Stlange.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
19:21:36 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    For those places where it can be used - sure. But not every document is more than one page. Or can be doubled up on a single page.
    I worked for an engineering firm in the WP pool. Get a document with sticky tabs. Make the edits, send to printers, and the copy readers pick it up and resume proof reading. Repeat until done. Send completed document back for review. Note revisions and start over.
    Back in '68, those touting the "paperless office of the future" knew they had to make hard copies, and my Dad was pleased to know that there was a future for Pulp and Paper Forestry Majors.
tschus pyotr
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:21:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

     have been told that one reason for an inkjet over laser is permanence. That the toner from a laser printer can be lifted. Which is "sub optimal" on legal documents - even if my CWP is done that way. I've also had more than one "keep this card in your wallet" transfer the print to the sleeve it was in.     YMMV, and so may the technology. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:09:34 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Laser is a "surface" print. Ink soaks in. You are right about that..
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca on Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:31:45 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Which is one reason, given my druthers, I want documents intended to last for a long time, to be ink pressed into the paper.     It is not like I'm going to insist on oak gall ink on parchment ... that's expensive!
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:10:19 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Big difference between pigment and dye based ink too. Dye based fades - pigment doesn't.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:31:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Laser transfers with heat, inkjet smears with water. Neither technology is perfect.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:06:03 -0800, Larry Jaques

Only water based ink spears with water, and even good water based pigment inks can not be washed out or totally obliterated with water. The average 20lb bond paper will disolve in water before the HP940 ink will wash out. (or even the Canon 226) 5 minutes in water will cause the ink to bleed through the fibers and become difficult to read, but the print is still there, and it won't transfer a legible copy to another sheet of paper, unlike laser prints subjected to heat..