Toolpost rocking with cheap two bolt mount

I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see every day...

Still have to get a 4x6 bandsaw and a Set-Tru chuck. Most likely about the start of February.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

You don't mention the size/make of your lathe. I used to have Atlas-made lathes, both 10" and later a 12". The compound of these was a bit flexible, but it would still smash a cutoff blade or rip the work out of the chuck rather than really flex things a whole bunch. My 15" Sheldon does MUCH better at cutoff due to the enormous rigidity of the carriage assembly on up. Mostly it just makes a big crunch and the little roll of swarf that had bound up in the cut gets smashed and it keeps right on cutting.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Reply to
Louis Ohland

This is a Chinese copy of the old Emco design. My 7" Emcomat has done similar moves. I have seen writing and prints of making a new ring with 4 mounting bolts. I have also seen pictures of broken rings on Emco machines. You might disassemble the whole thing and see if the mounting ring had racks in it.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Oh, nuts! I mean "cracks in it"!!!!!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Might be you have the gibes a bit loose ? Too much slop on a normal day ?

If you run dry and hot - you can be welding the edge onto the work. A little bur of melted stuff can stick on a corner of the cutter - and then it grabs..

I never cross cut in a slot that is the width of the blade - no space to have flex if it has to or take chips or whatever.

Cooling is best.

The -77 - it that the thin blade ?

Might be extending out to far also. I have snapped off the blade. I use the carbide tip one and pick left, right or center cut.

Martin Sheldon 11x44 Aloris using AXA*

Mart> Using an 11x26 Grizzly G9972Z lather (CQ6128A) with the original

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I don't know this lathe, but I ran across some guy on e-bay selling mounting rings for a lathe - they were supposed to be better and more wonderful - maybe they are an upgrade that would be helpful - it was an auction that closed today, probably no bids - looked like he was in the business of making these things, whatever they are

Reply to
William Noble

I leave it up to my Dad to set up the lathe (its his, anyways). But the gibs seem tight. I'd have to czech.

Using an SGIH 19-2PS with .093 (IIRC) inserts. Blade is out about 3/4".

Cutting hot rolled steel with the gnarly looking resultant finish. The welding might have happened, I'd have to look at the insert.

Note to all: An > Might be you have the gibes a bit loose ? Too much slop on a normal day ? >

Reply to
Louis Ohland

That's not uncommon for hot-rolled steel. One commenter here once compared it to machining pink erasers... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Reply to
Louis Ohland