Top ten gorilla welds I've seen

Argon/ CO2 in a 95%/5% mix is what we use in the shipyard for pulse and spray. Straight argon doesn't give the penetration that 95/5 does.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Have you been teaching one of your birds to weld? Nice pictures, by the way!

Thanks. I also do hummingbird photography. They just arrived here about two weeks ago, so it's time to drag out all the stuff and get going.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

My dad (born 1918) told me that they used to use coat hanger rod and OA to do body work.

Reply to
SteveB

Those were the days when the sheet metal was a little thicker then a soup can.

Reply to
Mach1

Neat. I liked the roadrunner too. I don't think that I've never seen one of those live. I come from New England and have occasionally seen hummingbirds. One of my former bosses in NE was an avid birdwatcher and he used to pin silouhettes of birds to the ceiling of his office. He would do Christmas bird counts and go to Cape May in NJ at certain times of the year to watch the migrations. He would also keep track of roadkill on his drives to and from work.

Can you predict when they come or do you have to wait hours on end for them to appear?

Reply to
guillemd

wrote

Can you predict when they come or do you have to wait hours on end for them to appear?

Nah, pretty predictable between April 1 and May 1 for different species. By May 1, they're here. In the winter, the resident bald eagle is a real harbinger of cold weather. This winter, he stayed only three to four months. Beautiful sight. He must be three feet tall.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Got them running loose all over the place in my area.

Ive trained (most) of the cats to not bother them (paint ball gun) so they have the run of the property and keep the snake population at or close to zero.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Wow. Have you gotten or posted any pictures of the eagle?

Reply to
guillemd

I hope that they don't make the same kinds of noises like the one in the cartoon. I imagine that it would make it hard to get to sleep.

Reply to
guillemd

Nah..they dont. But Wiley does tend to snore LOUDLY at night.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Wow. Have you gotten or posted any pictures of the eagle?

Reply: He's pretty skittish, and won't let you get close. This winter, I think I'll build a small outhouse like building near his enormous 100 year old cottonwood and try to get some good photos. I thought I was going to this winter, but didn't get the Nikon D300 with 700mm lens I wanted. :-( Any time I just get to go outside and stand and see him, I feel like I was graced by the presence of something much bigger than myself. He's so big, I can see his yellow beak at 500 feet! We watch him through some big 10x60 binocs. In the winter, I try to put out gophers and squirrels I kill, but it's thin in winter. We also have some golden eagles in the area, but they nest/roost in other areas, and we just see them cruising the pastures for lunch.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Roadrunners will get on a snake faster than a Democrat will get on an earmark.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I hope that they don't make the same kinds of noises like the one in the cartoon. I imagine that it would make it hard to get to sleep.

Don't know that I've ever heard them make a sound. Do they?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ayup...but its pretty quiet. You can hear them sometimes at dusk.

Here is a sound file

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I found some sounds of them online. Go down near the end of the page to =93Cuculiformes - Cuckoos and Roadrunners=94 and it has files for 3 distinct calls: 1) a bill chatter, 2) a cooing sound and another 3) rare sound made when they are high up (territorial?) There also a composite sound file linked to the bird's name.

My old boss would bring his tape recorder along with him when he wanted to play sounds to attract various birds. He also have various little wooden gizmos that he would twist to mimic some bird calls.

Reply to
guillemd

I think that I'd feel the same way. A symbol of pride, independence and vigilance.

Reply to
guillemd

I use argon for aluminum. CO2 for steel.

Reply to
CalifBill

coat hangers and steel wire for OA are about the same makeup.

Reply to
CalifBill

Only if it's a republican earmark. Of course, republican roadrunners enjoy jumping all over democratic ones, too.

I've yet to see a democanic or republicratic earmark. Perhaps rabid party line roadrunners killed them off.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Sounds about right. What is that glob holding together? Safety railings on a parking tower? Wind proof patio roof supports?

Reply to
Stupendous Man