TOS FN-32 spindle repair?

A plea for help from a lurker...

My TOS FN-32 mill's spindle bearings gave up the ghost today, (smoke & grinding to a grizzly halt), which pretty much ruined my day, plus my work of course. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to replacing spindle bearings, so any experience or tips with this type of machine or similar stuff would be greatly appreciated - and it might just prevent me from finding out the hard way ;)

Cheers, Mike Finland

Reply to
Michael Jay

Crossposted to < alt.machines.cnc >

Meanwhile, suggest you should research the topic on that newsgroup using Google groups as there was a thread a few months back covering this...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Thanks for the tip, I did do a search before posting. I was just hoping someone might have experience with this particular machine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Jay

Well, if the bearing races done spun in the housing or on the shaft then you are screwed, nobody can see it from here, you need to take it apart and report back to us....that or find a mechanic that is just gonna do the same for you.........it all depends on what the machine is worth re-sale as opposed to how valuable your time is to you...........

A a point of referance, a new set of angular contact bearings for a 40 taper spindle is probly likely to cost you ~ $250.00 to $500.00 retail if the top end speed is ~ 5000 ~ 10000 rpms on that particular machine....

Then again, it might be a slower spindle and takes a pair a timkin tapered bearing--just we cant see it from here..........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT