Toy cars anyone?

I'm sure some of the folks here can build toy cars like this one:

I'm honestly not so sure what's so special about it - except the current bid price...

Jim

jim rozen

Uh Jim...what are people thinking? Perhaps I'm missing something but I think you are right...its a gas power little car...$4,000!!#!$#

Why would they do that? They could be buying a nice piece of steel...with more parts on it like a nice lathe or even a mill.

Some people. Reno, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Jim,

They raced cars like these on a tethered line around a pole. The wire that comes out of the top was to stp the engine as the car came around the track. This was in the days before radio controll. I remember seeing some pictures, don't remember werre though, about this. I think it was a big thing in England. I beleive they called it tether racing. That's about all I recall. OBT- you can see the two ears or conection points on one side of the car. That's what made me think of teher raceing.

regards, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

As someone else noted, it's a tether car. This one is pre-war, rare and in great shape. IIRC, Hornets were very high-end cars (note the nice finish and how sophisticated the engine is). The Hornet model aircraft engines are equally desirable.

To a collector, it's worth quite a bit.

(That sound you just heard was a lot of people rummaging through their attics)

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

It's still going on:

Check out the record speeds on the first site. 214mph is a little out of the "toy" category, IMHO. :-)

Cheers,

Earl

(Who was a railbird at the Richmond, CA track 50-odd years ago, and would love to hear the sound of a Dooling 61 again).

Reply to
Earl Boebert

That's nothing. Check out the high bid on this tin boat.

3174435898

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger