Ron Moore

I believe they are closer to 6 inches of roughly 3/16" heat treated or alloy "C" channel with 2.5" webs. Built like a tank.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The camber on the axle has somewhat the same effect, with less tire wear.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

They may well be 6", there wasn't much scale reference in the picture. I doubt they're heat treated though, very unlikely on a trailer frame.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Saved my bacon once. Goin' down a looong hill into Birmingham AL (or maybe it was Mongomery), late at night doin' about 80, the trailer (which probably weighed more than the car) started doing the wahtusi. Ohhhh, shit! I was 16 at the time but I understood basic physics. I reached down and feathered the electric trailer brake lever. That straightened things out, kept the hitch in tension so I could ease off the throttle and decelerate while staying on the road and right side up. My Dad, who I thought was sound asleep, opened one eye and said, "nicely done, now watch yer goddamned speed." (Yessir!)

Reply to
Don Foreman

Does a birch tree count as "something worse"? Don't ask me how I know that either. I was quite surprised to discover that a birch tree can grow to significant size in the northwoods during the time between scoping the site and jumping in the cab to back the trailer.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yep, also good for stopping bouncing oscillations when you hit a resonant frequency.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think that if I get in an accident of this sort, it is better to bend the tongue than to bend the truck frame. My boat with trailer is about 5k GVWR (it is a 22 year old boat, they built them very heavily at that time), and it has a VERY long 3x4 tongue. Does not seem to fall apart. I will have a much shorter tongue.

Ignoramus27890

Probably thinking of a " breakaway box ", designed to stop the trailer if it comes off the hitch and the chains break. Compulsory in West Oz for certain sized trailers { over 2000 kg load ? } My car carrier trailer has one plus electric brake controller on the dashboard. My family has standardised on one plug so all can use it and nobody else has one, so it does not get loaned out. I would never again have over-run brakes on a trailer. Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

We're not talking a bunch, here. Just a bit of toe in is all it takes. I've never had a problem with uneven tire wear related to that. Most cars have a bit of toe in on the fronts, anyway. Ron

Reply to
Ron Moore

Its a military trailer...everything is heat treated.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

No no, if it's military and it's been H.E.A.T. treated, it's not a military trailer, it's shrapnel...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

ROFLMAO!!! True Indeed!!