locating axle brake flanges

I recently constructed a 6x12 single axle utility trailer with a 3500# plain axle. I constructed it with schedule 80 2" pipe and purchased spindles. I have since come to the conclusion that it needs brakes so I am adding 10" electric brakes.

Since I had no brake flanges I have to add them first. My dilemma is how to locate them on the axle. The spindles have a turned diameter with a shoulder that is larger than the inner seal area and I assume that the flanges will locate on that diameter. But do the flanges get located against that shoulder or do I need to put the whole assembly on to locate the flanges along the axis of the spindles? I have standard 4 bolt symmetrical flanges that nest into the backer plate and I assume that you line up one of the flange surfaces parallel with the trailer frame. This would then locate the adjuster slot at 6 o'clock position. Anyone have any experience adding brake flanges to an axle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
bitternut

I do these all the time when I have to replace spindles. It is easiest to do it if you haven't welded on the spindles yet. Install the bearings and spindle in the brake drum & run the spindle nut to the final position. Bolt the brake flange to the brake assembly. Place the brake drum/hub assembly spindle nut side down on your working surface. Place the brake shoe assembly "into" the brake drum. You need to have a slight gap between the brake shoes and the brake drum. I usually use four pieces of wire to space the shoes off of the drum about 3/32".

When welding, make sure you ground the spindle or the flange directly, else you will bugger up your bearings real quick. Tack the flange in the correct place, then dissasemble to complete. I usually wrap a wet rag around the spindle to cool it & prevent spatter.

Good luck

Reply to
John L. Weatherly