transformers

9000 watts ! I dont have a solution ....But im sure lots of money will get you out of the hole ..

Suppose i had a smaller power req' and had some compressor CSR motors .... Maybe i could put them together and soft start them and never load them til RPM dropped , i might get some use from that setup , of course , you'd need 220vac and big wire ... Of course thats a pain watching a tachometer ! I could even use 2 110vac motors in series across the line, but you'd have some circuitry to balance them , better stick with 2 220vac in parallel and using large flat belts and small shivs to a large shiv to balance the pull on the slower shaft . It would work , but would not be as nice as a 3PH , torquey mill motor . But it would not compare to a 3ph motor if RPM dropped a small drop , say 3550 to 3300 would lose mqybe 50% !. But a 3 ph is not bothered by this , it just pulls fine and at a much better Power factor ....

Reply to
werty
200 Amp 240V single phase is readily available into houses here. Its not the most common but its found in the area often (100 amp is the most common)

9KVA tells me its approx 45 Amps draw at 240V

a "Stove plug" type feed will be 50A 240V and should be enough for the mill.

as long as he purchases the single phase version. it sounds like the Mill is inverter powered itself to power the electronics and the motor

running an electrical "Stove plug" is well within the skillset of a homeowner with some common sense but its also a simple and cheap request to make to an electrician. And when in doubt the cost of having an electrician do it is almost negligible compared ot the cost of the mill

When the new house goes in a 100 amp pony panel the the machine shop is NEVER a bad idea its actually cheaper to run a big feed in and have plenty of power than 3 or 4 small branch circuits and all the wiring and fighting to find available circuits

the cost of getting 3 phase installed into a house would likely be in the ballpark of $5-10k in a residential neighbourhood in ontario.

the cost of upgrading the single phase service to 200A is far less than that and if one is coming in to do other work might as well do it all right in one job IMO

Brent Philion Ottawa Ontario

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Brent

No, absolutely DO NOT DO THIS! A VFD puts out 400 Volt pulses that a 3-phase motor is perfectly happy with. The Hass contains servo drives, computers, and I think a servo drive for the spindle. All will be severely damaged by the output of a VFD.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You can do this with split breakers and some shifting around of other breakers and keep the dryer circuit too. Read the manual and see what amperage breaker is needed.Pretty simple but I suggest an electrician also. Karl

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

ERK. Depends on the rating of the service lead into your house - 40 amps is a LOT of current....(and whats the switch on surge?, is it the

40 amps?) I strongly suggest you get a certified and qualified and insured electrical contractor to check out what you want to do....a phone call should establish feasibility. Its also 1.An expensive machine to blow up 2.House fires through faulty wiring also tend to be nasty...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Yet another lame post form newly-come-lately "Werty". He must like to see his name on RCM as if it gives him some special identity he has been unable to obtain elsewhere. His posts are almost as ridiculous as mine would be if I took every medical buzzword I ever heard and posted to the journal of the Am. Medical Society. Stick around a while, Werty and learn from RCM, before you embarrass yourself with all the inane posting. Thus far the ones you have posted only seem to probe the depths of your misunderstanding. Can you find a copy of "Electrical Stuff Made Simple" ??

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I just toasted a DC drive on an OD grinder here at the house, feeding it from a VFD, rather than my RPC. I plugged it into the wrong outlet. I really NEED to put different configuration plugs on the VFD and the RPC busses

Sigh

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

How about some spray paint on the outlets? I know you've got paint :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

yep. My commiserations - I dont know whats worse, the damage to equipment, or the feeling of being a total idiot for doing it in the first place (been there, done that)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

That..is a marvelous Idea!! Yes indeed!